For the California June 7 primary elections, registered Isla Vista voters are able to vote for a slate of candidates running for state and county level offices.

At the statewide level, elections for governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, controller, treasurer, attorney general, insurance commissioner, the second district seat for the state board of equalization, the state superintendent of public instruction and U.S. senators are on the ballot. Daily Nexus File Photo

For all partisan offices, the two candidates with the highest number of votes from the primary election, regardless of party preference, will appear on the November general election ballot. 

At the statewide level, elections for governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, controller, treasurer, attorney general, insurance commissioner, the second district seat for the state board of equalization, the state superintendent of public instruction and U.S. senators are on the ballot.

For Santa Barbara County, representatives for Congress, California State Assembly and the second district supervisor are on the ballot.

Democrat Salud Carbajal, the incumbent congressman, is running in the 24th district against three other candidates: Republican Brad Allen and Independents Jeff Frankenfield and Michele Weslander Quaid.

Democrats Gregg Hart and Bruce Wallach and Republican Mike Stoker are running for State Assembly in the 37th district to represent the Central Coast. Hart currently serves as the Santa Barbara County Supervisor for the second district, representing Isla Vista and UC Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara Unified School District board member Laura Capps is running unopposed for the Santa Barbara County second district supervisor, replacing Hart if elected.

Primary elections for a Superior Court judge, the county superintendent of schools, auditor-controller, clerk, recorder and assessor, district attorney, sheriff-coroner, and treasurer-tax collector-public administrator are also taking place.

For the Santa Barbara sheriff-coroner race, incumbent Bill Brown is running for reelection against Juan Camarena, former Isla Vista Foot Patrol lieutenant. Incumbent Susan Salcido is running against teacher Christy Lozano to serve as the Santa Barbara County Superintendent of Schools.

A version of this article appeared on p. 5 of the May 19, 2022, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Nisha Malley
Nisha Malley (she/her/hers) is the County News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Malley was an Assistant News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.