Have you ever wondered why the soft-boiled eggs in ramen shops taste so much better than the ones you make at home? My favorite part of eating ramen is the savory egg and its creamy center, and since we can’t go out to eat ramen anymore, I wanted to learn how to make them at home! I usually soft boil an egg to complement my instant ramen, but after learning how to properly make a marinated soft-boiled egg like they do it at restaurants, I can never go back to regular soft-boiled eggs! Marinating your eggs with soy sauce actually takes minimal ingredients, and you can make a whole batch at once.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

6 eggs

2 teaspoons sesame seeds

3 garlic cloves, chopped

3 green onions, chopped

1 tablespoon white vinegar

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar or honey

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and gently place your eggs into the pot. Let them cook, uncovered, for 6 minutes and 30 seconds to 6 minutes and 50 seconds. It’s important that you watch the time, or else they may be under- or over-cooked!
  2. While the eggs are cooking, prepare a large bowl with ice and water. After the eggs are done, immediately place them into the ice bath to halt the cooking process.
  3. While the eggs are cooling down to room temperature, prepare your marinade by combining and stirring all your ingredients together in an airtight container. 
  4. When the eggs reach room temperature, peel the shells off. The easiest way to do this is to peel them while in the water, so the shell comes off effortlessly.
  5. Place all your eggs into the container with the marinade for 6-12 hours in the refrigerator. If your container is too big, and the marinade does not completely submerge the egg, just flip the egg at the halfway mark.
  6. After 6-12 hours, slice the egg in half and enjoy!

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

The one extra step of making the soy sauce marinade really elevates the soft-boiled eggs, and it can be eaten with ramen, rice or even on its own! I’ve eaten it with some ground beef bulgogi rice bowls, and it was absolutely delicious. You can store the eggs in the fridge for a week, but you’ll probably finish all of them before then anyway!

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.