I never really shopped at Trader Joe’s before coming to college, but now knowing how inexpensive and fresh their food is, stopping at Trader Joe’s is a must when I go on my weekly grocery run. I usually purchase and cook with the same ingredients, but this time I wanted to try something new. I purchased a pound of their beef sirloin tips and some broccoli for a simple, savory dinner for my roommate and I to cook together. Here’s how I prepared and cooked my steak dinner.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

1 lb sirloin tips

3/4 cups of broccoli flowers

4 tablespoons canola oil

4 cloves garlic, finely minced

1/4 teaspoon 21 Seasoning Salute

1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

1 cup white rice (You can get this from the A.S. Food Bank!)

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Cook the white rice and keep warm.
  2. Season the sirloin tips with three cloves worth of garlic, 21 seasoning salute and pepper, and mix until all pieces are evenly covered. Set aside.
  3. Heat two tbsp of canola oil, and cook the rest of the minced garlic with the broccoli in a large pan over medium to high heat with a splash of water for four to five minutes. Set aside.
  4. In the same pan, put two tablespoons of oil and cook the sirloin tips for 10 minutes for medium doneness.
  5. Split the portions of steak, broccoli and rice onto two plates and enjoy!

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

I really liked this recipe because it cost less than $15 for the two of us, and we even had some leftovers that we saved for lunch the next day. The sirloin steak tips weren’t as juicy as more expensive steak would be, but they were worth it for the price and made us very full.

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.