The Isla Vista Recreation & Park District held its second-ever Bark Party on Nov. 8 at Sueno Park.

Owners were invited to dress up their pets for a polaroid station and to partake in various games. Bryce Hutchins / Daily Nexus

The event was an opportunity for owners and pets in Isla Vista to meet other dogs and take advantage of the tips and resources from local businesses, according to an Isla Vista Recreation & Park District (IVRPD) email press release.

“The goal of this event will focus on creating socializing opportunities for our four-legged companions while providing free resources from local businesses, tips and tricks for pet owners, as well as a range of activities and tasty treats for everyone to enjoy,” the press release read.

Dogs enjoyed free bones and tennis balls. Bryce Hutchins / Daily Nexus

Owners were invited to dress up their pets for a Polaroid station and to partake in various games, including Musical Mats and Scooby Says.

Businesses including Pet House, Lemos Feed & Pet Supply, C.A.R.E.4Paws, Goleta Airport Pet Hospital and PetSmart set up booths with toys and treats for dogs and their owners. A “bone bar” with free tennis balls and two raffle opportunities was also available.

A husky poses for the camera. Nina Timofeyeva / Daily Nexus

IVRPD Board Chair and dog parent Pegeen Soutar was excited to see a social opportunity in I.V. for their dog.

“As a dog owner, I couldn’t be more excited and hope everyone takes a chance to come out and introduce themselves and their dogs to the community,” Soutar said.

IVRPD General Manager Kimberly Kiefer noted that the event was a way to return the joy to dogs that they provide for their owners.

“We’re proud to be creating opportunities where people and their pets can come together and share the unconditional love that pets provide to us all,” Kiefer said.

A version of this article appeared on p. 1 of the Nov 16, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Anushka Ghosh Dastidar
Anushka Ghosh Dastidar (she/her) is the Community Outreach News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Ghosh Dastidar was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 school year. She can be reached at anushkagd@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.