The UC Santa Barbara Associated Students Senate met on Wednesday over Zoom for its first meeting of the quarter under interim Internal Vice President Hailey Stankiewicz. 

An executive order issued by Associated Students (A.S.) President and fourth-year political science major Gurleen Pabla in December removed former Internal Vice President (IVP) and fifth-year biology major Bee Schaefer from the position. Because Schaefer was on strike from her duties since October — citing anti-Black harassment and prejudice within A.S. — the executive order deemed the IVP position as vacant and called for a special election this quarter. 

External Vice President for Local Affairs Stankiewicz is serving as interim IVP until a new IVP is elected, the executive order decreed. International Senator and EVPLA Office External Affairs Chair Billy Wu has taken over Stankiewicz’s position. 

The A.S. Senate has not formally been called to order since the onset of Schaefer’s strike on Oct. 20, halting all passing of legislation, appointments and honoraria for all A.S members. 

During the Jan. 11 meeting — the first in three months — A.S. Board, Committees and Units appointments for the 2022-23 year were fulfilled. Stankiewicz also said that Fall Quarter 2022 honoraria for all A.S. members — delayed due to a lack of appointments made by Schaefer during her time in office — was finalized and will be distributed soon.

“I’m excited to see a really enthusiastic and engaged Senate,” Stankiewicz said.

Xiaoyang Hua resigned from his position as international Senator and internal affairs committee chair during the meeting.

The Senate passed three resolutions: A Resolution Calling for Disability Funding Appropriations, A Resolution in Support and Solidarity of the O4All Campaign, and A Resolution to Call for the Establishment of Lunar New Year as a University Holiday. 

Sindhu Ananthavel
Sindhu Ananthavel (she/they) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Ananthavel was the Deputy News Editor for the 2022-23 school year, the Community Outreach News Editor for the 2021-22 school year and an assistant news editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.