Two restraining order cases filed by Associated Students Internal Vice President Bee Schaefer against two UC Santa Barbara students were dismissed on Dec. 12. 

Schaefer filed restraining order requests in late October against three UCSB students — Ted Giardello, Aneri Patel and one anonymous student. Schaefer’s case against Giardello was dismissed for lack of evidence at a Nov. 7 hearing.

The restraining order requests were in response to Giardello, Patel and the third student’s publicly voiced discontent and anger regarding Schaefer’s neglect of summer responsibilities, including failing to appoint necessary Senate positions and communicate with A.S. members over the summer. 

The restraining order request against Patel cites her comment during a Sept. 28 Senate public forum and a since-deleted tweet, both expressing discontent and anger with Schaefer’s behavior. Evidence presented against the third student included tweets and emails regarding unpaid student work and accessibility of mandatory A.S. trainings.

On Nov. 28, A.S. President Gurleen Pabla issued an executive order declaring the IVP position vacant — following Schaefer’s multi-week-long strike of the position — and calling for a special election in winter quarter. Schaefer maintains that she has not resigned. 

All three cases were dismissed without prejudice, meaning Schaefer can re-file the orders if further evidence is presented. 

At the Monday hearing, Schaefer requested a continuance for the restraining orders in order to obtain legal counsel but was denied by Commissioner Carol Lee Hubner, who oversaw the case. The temporary restraining orders expired on Nov. 7, according to Hubner.

“If there’s more [evidence], then maybe. But as it is now, there just isn’t enough, and there isn’t a good cause to continue at this point,” Hubner said.

Holly Rusch contributed reporting.

Sindhu Ananthavel
Sindhu Ananthavel (she/they) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Ananthavel was the Deputy News Editor for the 2022-23 school year, the Community Outreach News Editor for the 2021-22 school year and an assistant news editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.