UC SANTA BARBARA — In an email message sent to all UCSB faculty, staff and students, Chancellor Yang announced that classes would be resuming on campus next week. While students everywhere were overjoyed but also disappointed by the news, one undergraduate — Chad Brohanski — seemed particularly thrilled to come in person. Because we have literally nothing better to do, we decided to interview them.

So, we’re going to be coming in person! How do you feel?

I’m really excited to come! I’ve always felt that, you know, coming face to face is one of the greatest pleasures of life. Coming in person is kind of like my love language. Although it is weird to be doing it after four weeks — usually it happens much quicker*. Also, my girlfriend’s been away from I.V. because of this whole COVID thing or whatever, and I really can’t wait to walk back home to my apartment after class and come in to her.

Do you think the school has enough protection to come in person again?

Honestly, I think it’s really important to be able to come together without any kind of separation or barriers. Requirements to cover up really prevent us from achieving the kind of human connection that I value. Is there anything that concerns you about the process of coming in person? We did get thrust in person pretty abruptly — I just want to make sure that we get to stay in person for a while. Getting shoved in, and out, and in, and out of person would be … pretty nice, now that I think about it. But anyway, we need to have clear expectations and open communication in order to finish strong.

Is there anything else you’d like to share before we conclude the interview?

Nothing, except that I’m really excited to come on back! I think it’ll be a really deep and fulfilling experience to finally be able to come in person, and I can’t wait.

*This fact is disputed.

Pubelius Comestock has come from near, he’s come from far, but now he’s come right where we are

A version of this article appeared on p. 9 of the Jan. 27, 2022 print edition of the Daily Nexus.