BROTHY BEANS! A super perfect, toasty, brothy, soupy bean recipe for a chilly insulation-free I.V. night. Yes, it takes a long time. But, it’s a set-it-and-forget-it kind of recipe and all good things take time. The beans and mushrooms are perfectly soft, warm and umami, the toast is crunchy and the scallions are fresh; they’re a really great winter meal since they fill you up and warm you from inside. 

Alice Bilyk / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

• 1 cup beans (of your choosing, I used pinto)
  • 2 cups stock
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • ½ white onion, diced
  • 6 sage leaves
  • 2 cups small whole mushrooms (I used shiitakes)
  • 1 scallion
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Toast
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Soak beans for 8 hours or overnight. If you do not want to soak your beans overnight, don’t worry, they’ll just take a little longer in the oven. 
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a deep baking dish approximately 8 x 8 or 9 x 9, add your beans, garlic cloves, stock, olive oil, 4 whole sage leaves, onion, salt and pepper. Stir lightly and cover the dish in foil tightly. Bake for approximately 90 minutes. 
  3. At 90 minutes, check the beans, uncover and bake until tender. This will take anywhere from another 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on whether the beans were soaked.
  4. Approximately 5 minutes before the beans are done, salt your mushrooms and pan-fry them until golden. If you have any leftover stock, feel free to add a little (maybe a tablespoon). Salt and pepper to taste if needed. 
  5. Once the beans are fork-tender, take them out of the oven and let them rest for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and chopped scallion. Toast and butter a few pieces of bread and serve topped with the beans and mushrooms.

These beans would be great in any form. On their own, on toast, on rice, as a side, etc. For reheating, I just refried them in a pot with some of the broth until they warmed through. Feel free to modify this recipe in any way with whatever you have in your kitchen. Enjoy!

A version of this article appeared on p. 10 of the January 13, 2022 print edition of the Daily Nexus.