Daniela Gomez / Daily Nexus

R&B Singer Kyle Dion To Perform in The Hub 

The Associated Students Program Board is back with another Gauchos-exclusive concert, with Florida-raised R&B singer Kyle Dion set to perform at the first Hub show of the year on Nov. 19 at 8:30 p.m. Known for “Hold on to Me,” a soulful track released in 2016, and “Brown,” a smooth and funky release featured on his 2019 project “SUGA,” Dion will hit the stage and bring his glossy, romantic sound to UC Santa Barbara. Access Cards and a green COVID-19 badge are required to gain entry to the venue. 

UCSB MCC To Host Closing Reception for “Collection of Resistance” Student Exhibition

The UCSB MultiCultural Center (MCC) will hold a closing reception on Thursday, Nov. 18, at 6 p.m. for UCSB student artists to showcase their work as a part of the MCC’s “Collection of Resistance” exhibition. The art exhibit, which will be displayed in the MCC Lounge until Dec. 10, was created “to bridge the gap between the adversities caused by COVID-19” and seeks to highlight artwork that amplifies the voices and perspectives of UCSB’s QTBIPOC community, according to the MCC website. The closing reception is open to the public, and attendees will be able to meet with the artists and discuss their work. Refreshments will be provided at the event. 

IVCSD Hosts Transportation Town Hall 

The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) held a Transportation Town Hall on Nov. 17 from 6-7 p.m. According to a press release from IVCSD, the goal of the meeting was to inform the community about the Mobility Plan, including its timeline and its importance to the I.V. community. At the town hall, IVCSD listened to residents about “transportation and mobility experiences, needs, and suggestions.” IVCSD received $182,158 from the California Air Resources Board “to develop an equity-based, Community Mobility Plan for Isla Vista,” with the goal of creating “an equitable Isla Vista where residents of all ages and abilities are able to move through, to, and from the community safely, efficiently, and enjoyably,” according to a press release from IVCSD. Moving forward, IVCSD aims to receive community input and design the new Mobility Plan to meet the needs of the community. 

UCSB Theater and Dance Department Presents “Seagull” 

UCSB’s Department of Theater and Dance is putting on “Seagull” — a comedic tragedy set in the Russian country estate in 1896, where “an eccentric theatrical family and those who love them compete for the center of attention,” according to the department’s website. Freelance director Risa Brainin is bringing the show to UCSB’s Hatlen Theater from Nov. 18-22.

UCSB Department of Recreation Presents 44th Turkey Trot 

UCSB’s Department of Recreation is hosting its 44th annual Turkey Trot, where walkers, joggers and runners can participate in a 5k or 10k and will see “breathtaking views of the ocean, campus lagoon, and Isla Vista,” according to Shoreline. The event offers three divisions: men’s, women’s and open divisions. The event is open to all UCSB students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members. Participants can register online and must pay to participate. 

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.
Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.
Sunidhi Sridhar
Sunidhi Sridhar serves as the Artsweek editor for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves all things pop culture.