Kurt Melvin / Daily Nexus

Throughout the past few days, my TikTok “For You” page has been filled with videos of recipes using brie cheese. As someone whose feed is constantly filled with food videos, I honestly was not sure if brie was trending on Food TikTok or if it was just the algorithm doing its thing. I know for sure though that I was definitely inspired to make something with the soft and creamy French cheese. 

These brie-raspberry tarts are super simple and easy to make. I constructed these little delicacies on top of sheets of frozen puff pastry that can be found in the frozen section of any grocery store. I then topped each sheet with a layer of tangy homemade raspberry compote, slices of the brie cheese, fresh raspberries, pistachios and a drizzle of honey. After constructing the tarts, you just pop them in the oven and they’re ready to go! Their sweet and savory flavor makes them a great potential appetizer for the Thanksgiving dinner table and will definitely impress your friends and family. 

Ingredients: 

Raspberry Compote

• 1 cup fresh raspberries 
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar 
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice 
  • 1/4 cup water 

Brie-Raspberry Tarts 

• 2 sheets thawed frozen puff pastry 
  • 1 1/2 cups raspberry compote 
  • 1 pound brie cheese, sliced into thin squares or rectangles
  • 1 cup fresh raspberries 
  • 1/2 cup roasted pistachios 
  • 1 tablespoon honey 

Directions: 

1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. 
  2. Boil the raspberries, sugar, lemon juice and water in a pot over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until thick. When done, let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes in a separate container. 
  3. Slice the thawed frozen puff pastry sheets into 4-by-4-inch squares. Place the sheets onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 
  4. Spoon a thin layer of the raspberry compote onto the pastry sheets. Place 2-3 rectangles of the brie cheese on top of the compote. Top the brie cheese with 3-4 fresh raspberries. 
  5. Once the oven is preheated, bake the tarts for about 18 minutes until they are golden brown. 
  6. When finished baking, take the tarts out of the oven and top them with crushed, roasted pistachios. Then drizzle a thin layer of honey over the tarts. 

These tarts are definitely best enjoyed when they’re warm and fresh out of the oven. All of the different components compliment each other so well and combine to create a unique savory and sweet flavor profile with a hint of tartness. Appearance wise, they’re also quite visually appealing and almost look like a grown up Pop-Tart. They’re super simple and easy to make, so I would definitely recommend making these for a quick, yet impressive, Thanksgiving dish.

A version of this article was featured on p. 12 of the November 18, 2021 print edition 0f the Daily Nexus.