Alice Bilyk / Daily Nexus

I first developed this recipe when looking to make a classic lemonade in a way that minimized the amount of food waste I was creating; juiced lemonade always ends up making me feel guilty about the half-used lemons I’m throwing away. That’s why this recipe tries to use the whole flesh of the lemon — ensuring that it’s not only minimally wasteful but also carries maximum lemon flavor (guilt-free)! This drink came out to be refreshing, thick and frothy, making it the perfect mix between a smoothie and a classic lemonade. 

As a tip, if using coconut milk, the coconut milk and water in the lemonade will separate out over time. Just stir, and they’ll recombine! 

Makes about 3+ cups of lemonade, depending on how much liquid and ice you add.

Ingredients:

• 3 large lemons
  • 1 lime
  • 2 large basil leaves
  • ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries, plus more for garnish
  • 1 cup water or thin coconut milk
  • 1 cup ice, plus more for the pitcher
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • Handful of mint leaves for garnish

Alice Bilyk / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Wash the lemons and lime. Cut them in half lengthwise (from stem to tip) and cut off as much rind and pith (the white parts between the flesh and the yellow/green rind) as you can. The pith is bitter, but a little won’t be too noticeable in the end!
  2. Cut in half lengthwise again, along the pith core, and remove any remaining pith and seeds. You can hold the lemon quarters up to the light to see if there are any seeds left. They can be cut in half again to better remove the seeds. 
  3. To the pitcher of a blender, add the lemon and lime pieces, raspberries, basil, water/coconut milk, sugar and ice. Blend until the mixture is homogeneous and no clumps or large pieces remain (2-3 minutes, depending on the blender). You may add more water/coconut milk or ice and more sugar until you reach your preferred consistency and sweetness.
  4. In the bottom of a pitcher, or your desired receptacle (It can just be a glass!), lightly crush some additional raspberries with something flat until pureed. Add ice and pour the whipped lemonade over the top. Garnish with mint and stir.

This drink is perfect for a hot summer’s day! If you want to booze it up, feel free to add a little white wine, rum or even tequila. Enjoy!