Siavash Ghadiri / Daily Nexus

Record following Games One and Two:

Gauchos: 25-11 (16-6)

Dirtbags: 11-10 (9-9)

Game One Breakdown: Loss

The Gauchos got out in front early; in the top of the second inning, Bryce Willits drove in a run with an RBI double, and Nicolas Vogt brought in Willits with an RBI single. Vogt continued to make an impact, as he would steal home in the top of the fourth to make it a 3-0 Gaucho lead. The momentum was put to a halt, however, as the Dirtbags responded with a 1-run fourth inning and a 3-run fifth inning. That would prove to be the decisive inning, as the Dirtbags held on for a 4-3 victory. 

Game Two Breakdown: Victory

This game had the making of a pitcher’s duel, as each of the starting pitchers went six scoreless frames. That’s when the floodgates opened, as the Gauchos managed to bring across 4 runs in the seventh inning. This forced the end of the night for the Dirtbags starter, Luis Ramirez. The offense managed to scrape across two more runs in the ninth inning to come away with a 6-0 shutout victory, backed by outstanding pitching. 

Game One by the Numbers:

Where did the big numbers go…?

Coming off a series in which the Gauchos scored a whopping 15 runs in three straight games, they couldn’t get the bats going against the Dirtbags. Uncharacteristically of the Gauchos, the team struck out 12 times en route to their game one loss. 

Old Reliable… 

The ever-so-reliable starting pitcher Michael McGreevy took his first loss of the season to the Dirtbags on Friday. Although it wasn’t a bad start, he was bitten by the long ball, giving up 2 homers on the day. 

A day for LBSU relievers… 

The Dirtbags’ relievers shut down the Gauchos, going three and two-thirds innings while striking out 5 and giving up a mere 2 hits. 

Game Two by the Numbers: 

The Big 8…

Starting pitcher Rodney Boone improved to 8-1 on the season. He did so with a dominant performance, striking out 10 across six shutout innings. 

How’s that for your second save…

Reliever Carter Benbrook provided a stupendous relief appearance, providing 3 shutout innings. Across those innings, Benbrook struck out 4 while only allowing 1 baserunner. 

Leadoff hitter or power hitter…?

Shortstop Jordan Sprinkle had a day at the plate! Of the Gauchos’ 6 runs, 5 of them were driven in by Sprinkle, who had a double and a homer in game two of the series. 

What’s on the line?

With games one and two split between the two teams, the series is up for grabs between the LBSU Dirtbags and the UCSB Gauchos. The Gauchos need a series win to inch closer to conference-leader UC Irvine, while the Dirtbags need a series win to break .500 in conference play.