I always love playing with different textures and colors in my cooking. When I made burrito bowls the other night, I knew my basic base of beans, rice, lettuce and guacamole needed a little something extra. So, I whipped up a super simple cabbage slaw, and it tied the dish together perfectly! I love how adding a few squeezes of lime and a sprinkle of cilantro brings out the fresh and tangy flavors of this side dish. Ditch your typical, soggy coleslaw and try out this new take on slaw!
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
- ½ of a purple cabbage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the bell pepper and cabbage into small strips. Place both ingredients into a large serving bowl.
- Mince or press the garlic and roughly chop the cilantro. Toss the garlic and cilantro in with the sliced pepper and cabbage.
- Add the olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper to the bowl. The slaw should be well coated with olive oil and lime juice, but not too soggy.
- Serve your slaw on top of your burrito bowl or a main dish of your choosing and enjoy!
Since cabbage is a heartier vegetable, this slaw can be enjoyed for up to four days. This recipe is super easy to make and pairs well with almost any entree, so it’s a great dish to meal prep for the week. If you want to upgrade this basic recipe, try adding in shredded carrots, chopped pineapple, pine nuts and your favorite salad dressing! I hope this slaw will become a staple recipe in your kitchen!
A version of this article appeared on pg.12 of the February 25 print edition of the Daily Nexus.