Do you want to surprise your valentine with a special dish? This omurice recipe can surely impress them with how nicely decorated and delicious it is. Omurice is a Japanese dish with a thinly cooked egg blanketing a pillow of ketchup fried rice. The best thing about this dish is that you can use the egg as a canvas for many other fillings! Omurice can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Jennifer Yoshikoshi / Daily Nexus

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients:

• 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon of milk
  • 1½ cup of white rice (preferably 1-day-old)
  • ½ cup of frozen vegetables
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken thigh
  • 4 tablespoons of ketchup

Directions:

Jennifer Yoshikoshi / Daily Nexus

Ketchup Fried Rice

1. Cut the chicken thigh into small pieces and cook in a pan with olive oil on medium heat.
  2. After the chicken is half-cooked, add the frozen vegetables as well as salt and pepper for seasoning. Occasionally stir until the chicken and vegetables are fully cooked.
  3. Add the rice and ketchup into the chicken and vegetables. Mix until ketchup is well combined and the rice turns red.
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set the pan aside or transfer to a bowl. 

Jennifer Yoshikoshi / Daily Nexus

Omelette

1. Whisk the eggs, milk and mayonnaise together.
  2. Heat a large pan lightly coated in olive oil over medium-high heat.
  3. When the pan feels hot, pour half of the egg mixture into the pan and tilt to cover the bottom surface of the pan.
  4. Turn the heat down to medium and cook until the bottom of the egg is cooked and the sides are able to be peeled off using a spatula.
  5. Take the ketchup fried rice and place it to cover a little less than half of the egg.
  6. Flip the other side of the egg to lay on top of the rice.
  7. Get a plate ready and slide the omelette onto the plate.
  8. For a rounder appearance, tuck the top edge of the egg into the bottom.
  9. Decorate the top of the egg with ketchup in any way you want!

On this Valentine’s Day, make this dish and leave a cute note or drawing in ketchup. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or for your valentine, this dish is fun and easy to make. Turn your omurice into an art piece to surprise your valentine or to simply enjoy for yourself!