With the holidays just around the corner, it is time for the one thing everyone looks forward to: holiday feasts. I sometimes find, however, that in this time of cinnamon and spice, I crave the warm, sweet flavors of summer. This recipe marries the winter and summer holidays together in perfect harmony. The creamy texture of the cheesecake lends itself perfectly to the rich, burnt sugar of the marshmallow to produce a dessert that will be the talk of the dinner table this holiday season. 

Shelby Guy / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

Crust:

• 1 ½ cups of graham crackers, crushed
  • ¼ cup melted butter
  • ¼ cup sugar

Filling:

• 32 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • ¼ cup heavy cream 
  • ¼ cup sour cream
  • ½ cup 2% milk
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Topping:

• Mini marshmallows
  • Marshmallow spread 

Directions:

• Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Place a large sheet of aluminum foil over the base, interior and exterior of a springform pan. Wrap the foil about 2 inches up the side of the pan to prevent leakage when the cake is placed in a water bath. If you do not have a springform pan, use a 9-by-13 inch pan without the foil.
  • To make the crust, crush up the graham crackers either by hand or with a food processor until they are a sandy texture. Add the melted butter and mix until the mixture has the texture of wet sand.
  • Pack the mixture evenly on the inside of the foiled springform pan and refrigerate until you are ready to add the filling 
  • To make the filling, melt down the chocolate in a double boiler with milk. Stir frequently to prevent the chocolate from burning and melt until it is consistently smooth throughout. You may add espresso powder for a more defined chocolate flavor. 
  • Place the cream cheese in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until completely smooth. Add the sugar and beat it again for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the chocolate mixture before it cools, but not while it is boiling. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth. Add the heavy cream and sour cream and stir well with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. Do not use the electric mixer! 
  • Pour the filling into the pan and place it in a larger baking pan with walled sides. Place water about halfway up the sides of the springform pan and bake for one hour. Turn the oven off and allow the cake to cool before putting it in the fridge for at least four hours.
  • Before serving, top generously with marshmallow spread and then mini marshmallows, and char them to your liking.

Adapted from “Teens Cook: How To Cook What You Want To Eat,” by Megan, Jill and Judi Carle.