In an effort to field public input on policing and public safety in Isla Vista, the Isla Vista Community Services District released a Google Forms survey on Dec. 1 for any and all Isla Vista community members to share their experiences and provide their perspectives with the option to remain anonymous. 

As the I.V. CSD was looking at how to respond to calls from the community for greater transparency in local policing and public safety, Bertrand suggested using Google Forms. Courtesy of the I.V. CSD

“We want to equitably improve safety in a holistic manner, making our community safer by improving the health and wellness of our community. I especially hope that Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) community members share their perspective on safety in Isla Vista,” Ethan Bertrand, Isla Vista Community Services District (I.V. CSD) director, wrote in a statement to the Nexus.

As the I.V. CSD was looking at how to respond to calls from the community for greater transparency in local policing and public safety, Bertrand suggested using Google Forms. 

According to the description on the Google Forms survey, the responses will be used “to improve our own public safety services” and “discover what potential new services are needed.” The results will be summarized and shared with the public, law enforcement and university officials down the line, according to the description on the form. 

The form asks community members questions about their experiences with law enforcement, how I.V. can be made safer, how law enforcement can be improved, instances of racial injustice in I.V., public safety issues, interactions with I.V. CSD’s Safety Stations and on the interpersonal violence investigator’s role, a position created by I.V. CSD, in I.V. 

Anyone who wishes to share their input and experiences can do so here: https://forms.gle/xKuwLdUTPZytGHdx6

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.