These Pumpkin Mummy Hand Pies are not only irresistibly adorable but also simple. They can be made either completely from scratch, or with a few modifications. Additionally, they can be prepped in advance and baked at a later time. With eyes made of candy or raisins peeking from beneath their buttery crust wrappings, these little mummy pastries will make for a fun activity with housemates and a delicious snack hot from the oven. 

Depending on the amount of dough, this recipe yields 12-20 hand pies. 

Chill time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Hands-on prep: 20-30 minutes

Cook time: 20-22 minutes

Total time: 2 hours, 20 minutes

Maya Salem / Daily Nexus

Pumpkin Mummy Hand Pies

Ingredients (Pie Crust, see note below):

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 sticks butter, frozen
  • Ice water
  • Lightly beaten egg, to be brushed on as egg wash

Ingredients (Pumpkin Filling, see note below):

• 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (homemade or canned, see below)
  • 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (can also use raw coarse sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
  • Candy eyes or raisins, for decorating (optional)
  • Caramel sauce, for decorating (optional)

Directions:

Making the dough (if store-bought, see below): 

1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with salt. On the large holes of a box grater, grate frozen butter into a bowl and stir just until coated with flour. 
  2. Stir ½ cup ice water into the dough until just combined. Add another tablespoon water, if necessary. You will still be able to see bits of butter; you don’t want it to melt until it is in the oven. This way, the final pastry will be soft and fluffy. So, if you notice the dough at any point is getting too buttery or sticky, toss it in the fridge for a few minutes.  
  3. Scrape the dough out onto a work surface. Knead just to bring the dough together into a ball. Divide into two pieces, tightly wrap each in plastic and flatten each into a disc. 
  4. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour. Pie dough, once firmly sealed, can stay in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can always make extra, and pick it up some other time. 

Making the filling: 

1. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, condensed milk, yolk, brown sugar, allspice, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until smooth.  

Making the mummies: 

1. In a small bowl, combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. 
  2. Roll each disc of dough into 9-by-10-inch rectangles. Cut one rectangle into ¼-inch thick strips. After measuring and cutting one, use it as a reference to estimate the rest of the strips. Cut the remaining rectangle into3-by-2-inch pieces. There may be anywhere from 12-20 pieces, depending on the amount of dough.  The less exact the measurements, the more mummy-like the pastries will look. After all, mummies come in all shapes and sizes. 
  3. Prepare a nonstick baking sheet, or line a pan with parchment paper. Evenly space each of the rectangular pieces on the prepared baking sheet. Distribute small portions of the pumpkin filling onto the pieces. Make sure to leave a small border around each of the pumpkin fillings. 
  4. Crisscross strips over the filling on rectangles to create mummy wrapping, trimming as necessary and leaving room for eyes. You will need approximately 1 ½ strips per mummy. 
  5. Brush all exposed parts of dough with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Transfer the mummies to the freezer, for at least 20 minutes. If you are storing these in the freezer to bake another day, skip the egg wash and sugar until the baking day. 
  6. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Bake until the tops are golden, about 20-22 minutes. Let cool.
  7. Dip the bottom of the candy eyes or raisins in caramel or extra pumpkin filling. Adhere 2 eyes onto the filling of each mummy. 

Notes:

Store-bought pie crust or puff pastry sheets can be used in substitution. If using store-bought pie crust, let it come to room temperature before rolling it out. You may want to knead it back into a ball of dough in order to distribute the starchy flour residue on its surface. If substituting with puff pastry sheets, do not use a rolling pin; use as is. 

If using fresh pumpkin, halve it lengthwise and roast for 45-60 minutes at 400 F, until the flesh pulls away from the skin. Let it cool, and once it is at a temperature safe enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a food processor. Puree 3-5 minutes.

If you are allergic, or simply don’t like pumpkin, you can make ‘bloody’ mummies by substituting in berry jelly or preserves. 

Maya Salem / Daily Nexus

Whether you make these mummies for their photogenic quality or their guaranteed deliciousness, enjoy them while they last. Because when they are right out of the oven, they are almost impossible to resist. Make sure to get your photos before they are gone! And while you’re at it, tag @ucsbonthemenu on Instagram to flex your unmatched baking and design skills.