Are you craving dessert but can’t bake? Well, this recipe is perfect for you. So simple it’s practically foolproof, this easy creme caramel is a delicious custard that you can easily make on the weekend, leave in the fridge and eat throughout the week. However, it’s so tasty that it might be gone before the week is out.
Ingredients (for 8 servings):
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Whisk all ingredients, except for the maple syrup, together until combined.
- Place 8 heatproof 6-8 ounce ramekins in a baking pan that is large enough to allow for water to surround all of the ramekins.
- Add an inch of hot water into the pan.
- Carefully pour the mixture equally into the ramekins, filling until about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, and let cool before refrigerating for at least an hour.
- Once ready to serve, pour a tablespoon of maple syrup to cover the top of the custard. If you want a sweeter custard, add more syrup.
A fun thing about this recipe is that you can totally jazz it up with a variety of toppings. Replace the maple syrup with berries and honey for a healthy (or relatively healthier) take on this recipe, or you can instead add whipped cream for a fun twist. My personal favorite is to replace the vanilla extract with a tablespoon of instant coffee and then drizzle the finished custard with melted dark chocolate. By changing up the toppings, this dish can be used for all occasions and you really can’t go wrong with any of them!