Tomatoes and eggs might sound like a weird combination for a stir-fry, but I grew up eating this dish whenever my family didn’t have time to cook anything elaborate. Although this dish was simply a back-up, no-effort dish back at home, I now find myself craving it more and more as I spend an increasing amount of time away from home. I tried recreating it, and even though it wasn’t as good as how my grandma makes it, it turned out really delicious and it was a super quick meal prep.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

• 2 Roma tomatoes
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3-4 sprigs of green onion, diced
  • Sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • Salt and pepper

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Wash and slice the tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
  2. Whisk the eggs and season them with salt, pepper and a drizzle of sesame oil.
  3. Grease a large frying pan or wok with oil over medium-high heat. Cook the scrambled eggs just until they are set, then transfer them into a bowl and set aside.
  4. Grease your frying pan again, and add half of your green onions into the pan until fragrant. Then, add all your tomatoes.
  5. Drizzle soy sauce and ketchup on top, and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the rest of your green onions and scrambled eggs into the pan, and quickly fold everything together.
  6. Serve on top of rice, and garnish with some more green onions.

This stir-fry recipe makes 4 servings, and it lasted me quite a long time. You can adjust the amount of tomatoes and eggs if you don’t want to meal prep this dish, as long as you keep the 1:2 ratio.

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.