With summer approaching, you might start to notice yourself heading to the fridge a lot more often, looking for something chilly and sweet to obliterate this crazy California heat for at least one second. Let’s face it, during quarantine, the frequency of you approaching the fridge is only going to increase. Of course, this also heightens the probability of your excitement getting crushed by seeing the same type of milk, yogurt, pancake or croissant in the fridge that you have been seeing for the past two weeks! This strawberry paste recipe is the perfect complement to spice up your sweets, dairy beverages or pastries. 

Photo Courtesy of pixabay.com

Ingredients (makes two servings):

• 6 large strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons of white sugar (can be modified based on desired sweetness)
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • ½ teaspoon lemon juice (optional)

Directions:

1. Carefully rinse your strawberries. Cut the green stem off all your strawberries and dice them. 
  2. Except for the lemon juice, combine all the ingredients in a pot.
  3. Leave the mixture on the stove at medium heat, and bring it to a boil. 
  4. Once the mixture starts to boil, bring the heat down to low.
  5. Stir the mixture frequently.
  6. Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes until all the ingredients are soft and incorporated. 
  7. Add in the lemon juice at the end for more flavor and a brighter color. 
  8. Once the lemon juice is added, turn off the heat immediately and wait for it to cool down.
  9. Lastly, put the mixture into a blender and blend for two minutes. 
  10. Store the strawberry paste in a mason jar in the fridge and take it out to enjoy whenever you want.

This recipe takes about 25 minutes to complete, but the process is extremely easy, and the result is very rewarding. You can simply mix this paste into your milk, protein shakes and smoothies, or put it on top of sweet pastries to satisfy your sweet tooth!