When Americans think of Thanksgiving dinner, they usually picture typical comfort food — turkey, stuffing, mac and cheese, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, candied yams, cranberry sauce, cornbread, sweet potato casserole, pecan and pumpkin pie. When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of Mexican cornbread, layered cheesy potatoes, lomo, honey-baked ham, dinner rolls, arroz, ensalada de manzana, japanese peanuts, green or cheesy Mexican spaghetti, ponche, gelatina and apple pie. Because I’m Mexican American, my Thanksgivings have always been filled with a few traditional American dishes and a fusion of both cultures (which to me is the best of both worlds).
Two of my favorite simple dishes to make are Mexican cornbread and ensalada de manzanas. The Mexican cornbread is a twist on a traditional cornbread recipe but because of the jalapeno, bacon and onion, it contains more flavor and texture. Ensalada de manzana is a classic Mexican recipe that combines apples, pineapples, pecans, raisins and cream. Here are the recipes for how my family takes on these dishes.
- 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 can of whole-kernel corn
- 2-3 jalapeños
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 strips of bacon, cut into small squares
- Vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add some vegetable oil to a pan and saute the onion for about three minutes.
- Remove the onion and cook the bacon until crispy.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a glass or metal pan.
- Cook for about 35 minutes.
Ensalada de manzanas (apple salad)
- 5 green apples, peeled and then diced into cubes
- 1 can of pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of pecans chopped
- 16 ounces of sour cream
- 1 can of lechera (sweetened condensed milk)
- Coconut flakes (optional)
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients.
- Enjoy your super easy and delicious dessert!
Liliana loves watching films, listening to music, and obsessing over Timothée Chalamet. She also adores learning the French language and looks forward to her daily coffee or boba drinks.