Summer can sometimes feel like the worst time of the year because of the hot weather, so it’s important to know what kinds of food we should eat to keep ourselves cool. This season features some of the best produce, in my opinion, and it’s all easy and fun to use in a variety of different recipes. Here’s a list of seasonal summer produce and recipes, so you can beat the heat!
Sweet Corn Salad
6 ears of corn
3 large tomatoes, diced
1 large red onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cucumbers, diced
2 avocados, diced
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cups white vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the corn in a large pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- Cool and cut the kernels off the corn.
- Toss all the diced vegetables together in a large serving bowl.
- Mix the olive oil and white vinegar to create a simple vinaigrette.
- Toss the vinaigrette into the salad and serve.
3 cups fresh or frozen berries of your choice
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1 3/4 cups plain yogurt
- Place the fruit and juice in a small saucepan and bring to medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir the cornstarch and water together until well mixed and pour into the fruit mixture.
- Simmer the mixture for five minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Remove the mixture from heat and transfer it into a jar or container to cool.
- Add two tablespoons of the berry compote to a mason jar and top with 1/4 cup of plain yogurt, then serve.