Arthur Nguyen/Daily Nexus

Losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle are usually the most popular resolutions of the new year, but in many cases, people only hold on to them for a week or two; we have made it to that point in the year. While many things may get in the way of continuing the new year’s goals, there are ways in which you can still enjoy life in conjunction with sticking to your resolution. Supplementing certain foods and habits can help achieve healthy intentions while still satisfying cravings.

BROWN RICE
Supplementing brown rice for white rice is an excellent way to enjoy a meal in a healthier way. Brown rice contains more fiber and can promote weight loss if eaten in place of white rice. Its nutty flavor and chewy consistency also gives brown rice a natural taste. While brown rice is a healthier option over white rice, it is still not a good idea to eat a mass amount of it, as its calories can add up quickly.

WATER
Supplementing water for sodas, juices and alcoholic beverages can make a big impact in your diet. Sodas and juices contain an extremely large amount of excess sugar. Coca-Cola, for instance, contains 10.6 grams of sugar per 100 ml of liquid. This goes with juice, too, as excess sugar is put into “fruit juices” for taste. For those who participate in drinking alcohol, make sure to check what you are actually putting into your body. A shot of Kirkland brand vodka contains almost 70 calories with no nutritional value. Overall, water is what keeps your body hydrated, awake and can furthermore lead to weight loss.

VEGGIES, VEGGIES, VEGGIES
Vegetables are extremely important for maintaining a healthy diet. We’ve all grown up being told to eat our vegetables and stray away from being picky, and there is a reason for that. Vegetables tend to be low in caloric value and high in fiber. They are essential for vitamins and minerals and can reduce risk of disease and high blood pressure. With an incredible variety of vegetables, you are bound to enjoy eating veggies with different colors, textures and tastes. Leafy greens, roots and seeds are some categories from which you can enjoy your meal. Supplementing foods high in carbohydrates and fats with nutritious vegetables can help you achieve any resolution dealing with health and diet.

STRESS
College can be tough, and we all have different ways to cope with stress. Some of these ways unfortunately hurt our bodies and goals of a healthy lifestyle. With midterms and finals coming before we know it, it is important to acknowledge how we individually cope with stress. Supplementing bad habits with healthier ones can help students stick to their resolutions and do better in school. Exercise, getting proper amount of sleep and consuming well balanced meals are all proven ways to reduce stress levels. UCSB also offers a tremendous amount of resources for helping students with stress. Eating right and getting proper exercise can help with stress and keeping resolutions.

Whether your resolution is to lose weight, stay healthy or get fit, it is important to do everything in moderation and be kind to your body. Cutting out excess and nutritionally lacking foods for healthy ones is just the first step to living a healthier and happier life.