The Healthy Eating and Living interns will continue their ongoing battle against negative body image with the 24th annual National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

According to a sample survey conducted by UCSB’s Student Health Service in 2008, 26 percent of female and 21 percent of male UCSB students reported having an eating disorder. NEDAW draws attention to the dangers of disorders like anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, body dysmorphia, binge eating and purging.

In conjunction with its week-long series of events, H.E.A.L. interns will hold “You Are Beautiful” mirrored signs up today along the bike paths to promote health body images.

In order to help combat the “freshman 15,” H.E.A.L. intern Molly Goldman, a third-year sociology major, said the organization will also organize food demonstrations at select dorms today, including Santa Cruz. The interns will share easy recipes to help freshmen practice healthy eating on a budget and proportion control in the dining commons.

“We want to show freshmen some easy recipes for their time in the dorms that involve light cooking, like the microwave and little assembly,” Goldman said. “One of the recipes we plan to show is couscous with green apple and red onion.”

UCSB will host a lecture about nutrition and body image from esteemed dietitian and photographer Juli Hayes-Nadler tomorrow at 8 p.m. in I.V. Theater. Hayes-Nadler will also display her visual show the “Real Beauty Collection,” featuring her “Celebrate The Skin You’re In” photography that seeks to unveil the beauty and strength in all body types.

H.E.A.L. Undergraduate Adviser Joanna Hill said Hayes-Nadler’s presentation provides a unique approach to understand eating disorders.

“I’m particularly excited about Hayes-Nadler’s show because it uses art as a powerful tool and a medium for self-expression and connection,” Hill said. “Art has a way of connecting people and their body image. [Hayes-Nadler’s] use of pictures helps focus on what is beautiful about the body.”

Additionally, Hayes-Nadler will participate in information sessions on Thursday at the Student Resource Building lawn. The week will conclude on Friday night with a “Snack Attack” on Del Playa Drive where Isla Vista residents will receive free food, water bottles and condoms.

H.E.A.L External Coordinator Ben Aceves, a fourth-year political science major, said the location of the UCSB campus may contribute to an exacerbated focus on bodily perfection.

“Both eating disorders and negative body image are really more prevalent in beach and college communities like this one,” Aceves said. “H.E.A.L.’s events like this really try to give a voice to this issue because it’s very present.”