The stage is set, but the script is still in production.

When the UCSB men’s soccer team takes to the field tonight for their second round NCAA Tournament clash, the characters will be aligned like the stars hanging overhead.

Directing from the sidelines will be Head Coach Tim Vom Steeg, who ranks 37th in number of wins in Division I history, the man who has now led UCSB to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances.

Starring up front, junior forward Drew McAthy and senior forward Neil Jones will stare into the eyes of the California team that ripped their hearts out exactly a year ago in the same round of the NCAA Tournament.

Those two will do their best to finish balls from one of the most dangerous midfields in the nation, headed by Co-Big West Player of the Year senior Memo Arzate. Fellow Conference First Teamers senior Dave McGill and junior Tony Lochhead comprise the rest of the midfield and have proven that there isn’t a tougher middle in college soccer.

With the Big West Goalkeeper of the Year tending to the net in junior Danny Kennedy, the Gauchos have a Conference First Teamer in every element of the field.

Despite all of these accomplishments and accolades, though, it will all mean nothing should the Gauchos not show up tonight against a creditable opponent – Cal – that beat San Jos