This pumpkin bread is the definition of moist. The warmth of the chai spices and the sweetness of the pumpkin are perfect together! It’s literally a pumpkin pie and chai latte in one loaf of bread. Bonus: This made my house smell like the purest essence of fall. The only thing I wish I had done differently is adding raisins or nuts.

I adapted this from Elizabeth Lindemann’s Chai Spiced Pumpkin Bread! I added a little more pumpkin than the original and a dash of turmeric and black pepper. The black pepper helps your body absorb the healthy compounds in the turmeric, but don’t worry, you don’t taste it! The gluten-free flour honestly makes this cake extra moist and extra easy (you don’t have to worry about overmixing it)!

Alice Bilyk // Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

• ½ cup neutral oil (avocado, canola, etc.)
  • 1 ½ cups brown coconut sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 to 1 ¼ cups canned pumpkin puree
  • ½ cup liquid chai tea concentrate
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or I substituted this with an extra pinch each of nutmeg, allspice, ground ginger and cinnamon)
  • 1 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour or 1-to-1 gluten-free flour
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • ½ cup raisins (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with the neutral oil.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and oil using a whisk or electric mixer (high speed for about 30 seconds) until the sugar is fully saturated with the oil.
  3. Add the 2 eggs and mix together until it starts to get fluffy (about one minute on high speed).
  4. Add the canned pumpkin and chai tea concentrate. Mix until well combined (30 seconds on high speed).
  5. Add the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice (or substitutions) and salt. Mix again until fully combined (30 seconds on high speed).
  6. Add the flour. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until only just combined. If using gluten-free flour, do not worry about overmixing.
  7. Add the batter to the pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  8. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling almost completely before slicing. Garnish with extra turmeric over top if you want!

I hope you enjoy this bread! It tastes exactly like what I imagine fall to taste like, and you can pair it with a chai latte or vanilla ice cream to really bring the vibes home. You’ll probably have a lot of chai tea concentrate left over!

A version of this article appeared in the October 7, 2021 print edition of the Daily Nexus.