On Sunday afternoon, the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department confirmed the county’s first positive case of coronavirus, a North County resident in their 60s. 

According to a press release from the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, the person identified does not have any underlying health conditions and is recovering at home in isolation. 

The individual has no history of domestic or international travel in the last six weeks, according to the press release, and appears to have contracted the virus through “community transmission.” 

The department “is taking steps to identify persons who may have had close contact with this person, including friends, family members, or health care professionals,” and “will monitor them and take appropriate measures, including testing for infection, if needed,” the press release read. 

Dr. Henning Ansorg, health officer for Santa Barbara County, reminded residents that “All large nonessential professional, social, and community gatherings should be postponed or cancelled, and smaller gatherings should be modified to allow for at least six feet of space between participants.”

Earlier on Sunday, the department reported that multiple Isla Vista residents were under a mandatory quarantine order after coming into contact with a person in San Diego County who later tested positive for the virus. One individual I.V. is currently being tested for the virus, although none of the people quarantining have exhibited any symptoms. 

Max Abrams
Max Abrams served as the lead news editor for the 2020-2021 school year. He is from Buffalo. That's all you need to know.