Chancellor Henry T. Yang said in an email Tuesday evening that the UC Santa Barbara student tested by Student Health for coronavirus had tested negative, and remains under quarantine. 

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department later announced just after 2 p.m. on Wednesday that all five UCSB students – who are under a mandatory quarantine order after coming into contact with a person in San Diego County who later tested positive for coronavirus – have tested negative. 

They will remain under quarantine until March 22, the department said. At a press conference Monday evening, the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department said all five of the students under the mandatory quarantine order were being tested for the virus, and that results would come back by Wednesday at the latest. 

It’s unclear how many people have been asked to self-quarantine outside of the five UCSB students who were given the mandatory quarantine order. 

“All identified contacts of these [five] individuals have been notified and are self-quarantined in their residences at this time,” the department wrote in the press release. 

Yang added that none of those quarantining, or any of their “close contacts,” have exhibited any symptoms of the virus. 

“As a reminder, people under quarantine are healthy individuals that are known to have been exposed to someone with a potential communicable disease, in this case COVID-19,” the department added. 

Updated [3/17/20, 6:41 p.m.]

Updated [3/18/2020, 2:38 p.m.]

Sanya Kamidi
Sanya Kamidi serves as the Deputy News Editor and before that was a Social Media Manager. Loves coffee and will find any excuse to miss class for the Nexus. She can be reached at skamidi@dailynexus.com or @skamidi on Twitter.