Two UC Santa Barbara students and one Isla Vista resident were arrested in Isla Vista on Feb. 12 for felony charges of battery with serious bodily injury and conspiracy to commit crime. The assault was premeditated, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer Raquel Zick said.

Large group of suspects conspired to batter the two victims with hands, feet, and a glass bong,” Zick said in a statement to the Nexus. 

The I.V. resident, 20-year-old Jonathan Rodriguez, was arrested at 6674 Picasso Road, and the UCSB students, 23-year-old Preston Thor Cardoza-Schrek and 21-year-old Samuel Cerrillo Contreras, were arrested at 6653 Del Playa Drive. Rodriguez received an additional felony charge of assault with force. The suspects are not affiliated with the university. 

Zick said the crime violated three California penal code sections regarding assault and battery, battery causing serious bodily injury and conspiracy to commit a crime. 

The three suspects were processed into Santa Barbara County Jail with individual bail amounts of $50,000. Court hearing dates are pending. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 3 of the Feb. 22, 2024, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

CORRECTION [2/22/2024, 9:15 p.m.]: The article has been updated to clarify the backgrounds of the suspects. 

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.