UCSD student groups call for impeachment of A.S. President 

Several student groups at UC San Diego have called for the impeachment of Associated Students president George Chi Ioi Lo following alleged instances of mistreatment, discrimination and retaliation, the UCSD Guardian reported.

Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlan (MEChA) at UCSD posted a letter on Instagram outlining various grievances against Lo. 

The letter alleges that Lo mistreated Housing, Dining and Hospitality student workers on Oct. 3, disrespected several members of the Associated Students (A.S.) Senate on Oct. 18, discriminated against Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) at a Nov. 1 A.S. meeting and retaliated against the A.S. Associate Vice President of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion on several occasions.

“It has come to our attention that Mr. Lo has repeatedly exhibited behavior that is detrimental to the well-being and integrity of our campus community,” the letter read. “We believe that president Lo is guilty of ‘improper’ AND ‘Unethical use of the position’ as seen with his patterns of behavior.”

According to the UCSD Guardian, SJP at UCSD, Groundwork Books, Muslim Student Union and the Ethnic Studies Undergraduate Community also endorsed the letter.

The letter was submitted to the A.S. Judicial board, as well as other members of the Association.

UCLA Middle Eastern Student Association raises $24,300 for Gaza relief

The Middle Eastern Student Association at UCLA raised $24,300 for Palestine Children’s Relief Fund, a charity organization working to provide medical care to children in Gaza, the Daily Bruin reported.

The Middle Eastern Student Association (MESA) raised the money by selling boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts at $15 a box, donating half the proceeds to Palestine Children’s Relief Fund (PCRF).

MESA received donations from 1,941 supporters during the fundraiser and sold nearly 39,000 donuts.

“It was really important for us to find an organization that can deliver critical aid,” a member of MESA, who was granted anonymity due to safety concerns around Islamophobia on campus, told the Daily Bruin. “PCRF stood out to us because they are on the ground providing essential medical supplies, food, medical treatment, clean water and other necessities for families in the conflict.”

The MESA member said the organization plans on hosting future fundraising events.

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Nov. 30, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Alex Levin
Alex Levin (he/him) is the University News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Levin was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 school year. He can be reached at alexlevin@dailynexus.com.