The UC Santa Barbara women’s volleyball team added another win to their impressive 10-game win streak as they took down a resilient CSU Bakersfield on Oct. 19. The Gauchos took down the Roadrunners in a clean three-set sweep, even after losing opposite Tasia Farmer to an ankle sprain early in the first set.

NEXUS FILE PHOTO

The Gauchos took an early lead over the Roadrunners in the first set after junior setter Michelle Zhao and senior Briana McKnight spearheaded the team’s offensive effort. Bakersfield fought their way back, tying the bout at 21-21. Their effort, however, would be insufficient against the Gauchos as they closed out the set winning 25-23. 

The Roadrunners were determined to make their presence known early in the second set, taking an early 8-3 lead after an impressive rally. UCSB’s Michelle Ohwobete, Grace Wuischpard and Sophie Reavis had other plans though, helping the Gauchos to regain the lead with a combined 9 kills and impressive work from the service line. The Gauchos finished out the set with a final score of 25-20.

With the momentum clearly on their side, the Gauchos steamrolled their way through the third set. With solid work from Grace McIntosh and efficient hitting from the Gauchos’ offense, the Roadrunners collapsed. McKnight would seal the Roadrunners’ coffin as UCSB took the win 25-14.

The Gauchos packed the box score in the win with impressive stats from the whole team. When the final whistle was blown, UCSB led the match in kills (46), blocks (9), assists (39) and digs (45), only surrendering the ace category to the Roadrunners. On the offensive side, the Gauchos’ effort was led by McKnight and Michelle Ohwobete, who posted 13 and 12 kills respectively. Reavis also added to the kill total, racking up 10 on the outside with impressive efficiency. UCSB’s playmaking was on full display with stellar passing and sets by Zhao who posted 17 assists on the night, followed closely by McIntosh with 16. Ohwobete added to her kills with an ace and solid serving, as well as four blocks. On the defensive, the team was led by senior libero Macall Peed whose 11 digs thwarted the Roadrunners’ offense. In the front row, Wuischpard led the Gauchos with 5 blocks.