University of California President Michael Drake issued a statement on behalf of University of California in response to California Governor Gavin Newsom’s revised 2023-24 budget proposal. Published on May 12, the statement praised the proposal maintaining funding for the University of California system.

The revised budget is focused on continuing support for the multi-year compact between University of California (UC) and the state legislature. The revision regarding higher education outlines fiscal increases toward increasing California undergraduate and graduate student enrollment rates, expanding on-campus resources, building additional student housing and hiring more faculty and staff. 

“I am grateful that Gov. Newsom’s revised budget proposal maintains critical funding for the University of California,” Drake said in a statement.. “This budget reflects our strong partnership with the Governor and his recognition of the University’s role in maintaining the state’s economic competitiveness and solving California’s most urgent issues.” 

The initiative will require funding adjustments, as outlined in the budget document. 

Newsom plans to shift $498 million in current and planned General Fund state support toward UC-issued bonds for various projects done on UC campuses, including UC Berkeley and UC Merced. He also presented an increase of $30 million to the ongoing General Fund support to cover debt services on bonds for UC affordable student housing grants. There will also be a one-time increase of $2 million to create an entrepreneur-in-residence project for UC immigrant students, along with a $1.2 million increase for a statewide grant program. 

Drake noted his approval toward the various adjustments made to the state budget.

“The University of California looks forward to working with the Governor and state legislative leaders to achieve a final budget that maintains this critical funding,” he said in the statement. 

“This state support will allow the University to continue educating the next generation of leaders, producing cutting-edge research for the benefit of our communities, and delivering high quality health care to Californians,” the statement continued. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 6 of the May 18, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.