Veterans & Military Services discusses entrepreneurship 

Veterans & Military Services is hosting an entrepreneurship event on Thursday, May 18, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Veterans Resource Center. 

The workshop will discuss state and local resources for starting a business, invite local veteran business owners, create networking opportunities and more. Lunch is included. 

African diasporic Cultural Resource Center presents cooking demonstrations 

The African diasporic Cultural Resource Center (AdCRC) is hosting a cooking tutorial and a cultural meal on Thursday, May 18, from 5-7 p.m. in the AdCRC. The offered meal is shrimp and grits. 

“Join us the EOP’s African diasporic Cultural Resource Center for a cooking tutorial and a fresh, cultural meal,” the Shoreline description read

RCSGD and Health & Wellness discuss LGBTQIA+ sexual health education 

In collaboration with Health & Wellness, the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) for a discussion on LGBTQIA+ sexual health education. The event will take place Thursday, May 18, from 8-9 p.m. on Zoom. 

ONDAS Student Center talks about time management for first-generation students 

In collaboration with Campus Learning Assistance Services, Opening New Doors to Accelerating Success (ONDAS) Student Center is hosting a “Overcommitted & Burnt Out: Time Management for First-Gen Students” workshop on Friday, May 19, from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in Kerr Hall room 1150..

The workshop will discuss the struggle first-generation students face with time management, burnout and over committing. Chia seed pudding will be provided. 

Women in Media hosts annual conference 

Women in Media (WIM) is hosting its annual Women in Media Conference at the Mosher Alumni House. The conference will begin Saturday, May 20, at 9 a.m. and end on Sunday, May 21, at 3 p.m.

“Each spring, WIM organizes the annual UCSB Women in Media Conference featuring distinguished women in roles from across the entertainment industry,” the Shoreline description read. “At this weekend-long event, students have the chance to hear insight directly from our speakers and build a lasting network of professionals and peers.” 

A.S. COSWB offers free bike items and services

The Associated Students (A.S.) Commission on Student Well-Being is hosting a “Fix It!” bike event, featuring free bike accessories and services for students. The event will take place Monday, May 22, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Lot 22 lawn. 

Items and services include free quick fixes and installations of baskets, bells and reflectors.

Black Women’s Health Collaborative hosts first ever Black Queer Prom 

Black Women’s Health Collaborative is hosting its first ever Black Queer Prom on Saturday, May 20, at 7 p.m. at The Hub. The event is DIY- and denim-themed. 

The event will also have a raffle and money prizes. 

Women’s Center hosts workshop on birth control

Titled as “Public Cervix Announcement,” the Women’s Center is hosting a workshop and discussion on birth control. The event will take place Monday, May 22, from 3:30-5 p.m.

“There are so many types of birth control options nowadays, what’s the difference between them? What else can birth control help besides preventing unwanted pregnancies? How should I know which to choose?” the Shoreline description read

MultiCultural Center opens art exhibit on abolition movement 

Continuing its Activist Scholar in Residence series, the MultiCultural Center (MCC) is hosting an art exhibit titled, “together we abolish: envisioning a world without prisons & borders.” The exhibit is available for viewing on Monday, May 22, from 6-7:30 p.m. in the MCC lounge. 

“Join us for a transformative art reception featuring zines around the abolition movement and how we can work together as a community to bring peace, love, & safety,” the Shoreline description read

LGBTQ Staff & Faculty Collective hosts spring luncheon

In collaboration with RCSGD, the LGBTQ Staff & Faculty Collective is hosting a spring luncheon on Tuesday, May 23, from 12-1 p.m. at the Student Resource Building multipurpose room. 

Free lunch will be provided by the Resource Center for Sexual & Gender Diversity, and you’ll learn about opportunities to get involved on campus through the Collective,” the Shoreline description read

MENASARC, ARC, RCSGD host annual QT-API-SSWANA cultural potluck

The Middle Eastern, North African, South Asian Resource Center, RCSGD and Asian Resource Center are collaborating for its second annual QT API-SSWANA Cultural Potluck in honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month. The event will take place Wednesday, May 24, from 12-2 p.m. in the MCC lounge. 

“Taking place during AAPI Heritage Month, our Second Annual QT Asian, Pacific Islander, South and Southwest Asian, North African Cultural Potluck celebrates the contributions and accomplishments of QT API-SSWANA folks,” the event description read. “People at these intersections have unique experiences that are often overlooked, so we hope to honor these folks and help foster community over a celebratory meal that represents our diverse cultures.” 

Attendees must respond through an RSVP form to attend the event. 

Community Financial Fund hosts workshop on CalFresh, on-campus resources 

The A.S. Community Financial Fund is hosting a workshop over Zoom about CalFresh and on-campus resources on Wednesday, May 24, at 2 p.m.

“This workshop will focus on the various ways students can ‘eat on a budget’, strategize to build their own food/grocery budget, and how campus and community resources can be used to make eating affordable,” the Shoreline description read

MCC hosts two-day art exhibit about trauma, healing and social justice 

MCC is hosting a two-day art exhibit titled, “Mirror Memoirs: Trauma, Healing] and Surviving as Tools for Social Justice,” on Wednesday, May 24, from 5:30-9 p.m. and Thursday, May 25, from 12-1:30 p.m.

Wednesday’s event will begin with a film screening of “Transmutation: A Ceremony” at the MCC theater from 5:30-7 p.m., followed by a dinner and healing circles from 7:30-9 p.m. at the MCC lounge. 

This theater project breaks secrecy and isolation, and uses storytelling and survivor leadership to illuminate the needs and wisdom of survivors and help viewers imagine a different world,” the Shoreline description read

KCSB hosts open discussion about free speech

KCSB-FM 91.9 is hosting an open discussion with students, staff and community members about free speech on Wednesday, May 24, from 6:30-8 p.m. in the Isla Vista Theater. 

“Hear what our panelists have to say during an hour-long conversation facilitated by KCSB News, and share your thoughts and questions with them afterward during our 30-minute Q&A,” the Shoreline description read. “Join us as we work together to define free speech and envision a campus that fosters both safety and expression.” 

Asian Resource Center celebrates APIDA graduating seniors 

In collaboration with the Office of International Students & Scholars and the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion office, the Asian Resource Center is hosting a Asian Pacific Islander Desi American graduation ceremony. The event will take place Wednesday, May 24, from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Corwin Pavilion. 

Light snacks and refreshments, as well as a goodie bag, will be provided. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the May 18, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.