ONDAS provides professional clothing for first-generation students 

The Opening New Doors to Accelerating Success (ONDAS) Student Center is hosting a clothing giveaway for first-generation students looking for professional clothing for job interviews. The First-Gen Career Closet hour will take place on Thursday, May 4, from 12-1 p.m. at the Career Services Building room 599. 

Attendees can also discuss career opportunities with the ONDAS career liaison for first-generation and students of color. The event is in preparation for the Career Fair on May 17. 

ONDAS is an academic resource center for first-generation UC Santa Barbara students. 

AIICRC shows film screenings in honor of MMIWG2S Day 

The American Indian and Indigenous Cultural Resource Center (AIICRC) is showcasing two films to bring awareness to Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and Two-Spirit People (MMIWG2S) Day. The film screenings will be held Thursday, May 4, from 6-8 p.m. at the MultiCultural Center theater. 

The two featured films are “Say Her Name” and “Bring Her Home.” 

“MMIWG2S Day, widely held on May 5th, is remembered for our relatives who have gone missing or been murdered,” the Shoreline description read. “It is an ongoing issue terrorizing indigenous countries today with little to no media recognition.” 

AIICRC provides resources and support for American Indian and Indigenous students at UCSB. 

Asian Resource Center kicks off APIDA heritage month 

The Asian Resource Center (ARC) is hosting an Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) Heritage Kickoff Event with cultural foods and jeopardy in honor of APIDA Heritage Month. The social will take place on Thursday, May 4, from 6-8 p.m. at the Student Resource Building (SRB) multipurpose room. 

This event will be a wonderful opportunity to learn about the rich heritage of APIDA cultures in our JEOPARDY, taste delicious food, and connect with members of these communities,” the Shoreline description read.

Spanish-English Language Exchange Club celebrates Cinco de Mayo 

The Spanish-English Language Exchange Club is hosting a Cinco de Mayo celebration at Little Acorn Park on Friday, May 5, from 7-8 p.m. 

The celebration will feature games, catering from Super Cucas and activities for attendees. Food can be purchased for $5 per person. 

Prospective attendees can register on Shoreline for this event. 

Vietnamese Student Association hosts Vietnamese Culture Night 2023 

The Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) is hosting its annual Vietnamese Culture Night (VCN) on Saturday, May 6, from 5-9 p.m. at Campbell Hall. 

VCN features a live theater production and other performances. 

“In past years, VCN has served as a hallmark event for UCSB VSA, not only to highlight the common struggles/difficult conversations many of us have experienced, but also to foster a community experience among our members,” the Shoreline description read

Taiwanese American Student Association showcases AAPI night market 

The Taiwanese American Student Association (TASA) is celebrating Taiwanese and AAPI culture with a night market on Saturday, May 6, from 6-10 p.m. at Storke Plaza. 

“TASA Annual AAPI Night Market is a festival celebration of Taiwanese (as well as many other AAPI) culture with live shows, food, and games,” the Shoreline description read

TASA provides event programming and support for Taiwanese American students at UCSB. 

Health & Wellness holds discussion in celebration of AAPI Heritage Month 

Health & Wellness is hosting a group discussion with snacks and drinks in honor of APIDA Heritage Month on Monday, May 8, from 2:30-3:30 p.m. at the SRB Health & Wellness and Women’s Center Community Room. 

“In celebration of Asian Pacific Islander American Heritage Month join us for Asian snacks, drinks, and a conversation regarding the culture shock that we experienced when we first arrived,” the Shoreline description read. “Your story and your journey deserve to be heard so let’s celebrate our heritage together.”

Women’s Center discusses graduate school for femme students of color 

The Women’s Center is holding an open discussion for femme students of color about graduate school following the UC union academic worker strikes at UCSB. The discussion will take place Tuesday, May 9, from 5-6 p.m. at the SRB Lagoonside Terrace. 

“Join us for dinner and an open discussion about higher education, UCSB post strike, and more,” the Shoreline description read

Chicanx/Latinx Cultural Resource Center hosts activist tour of El Centro 

The Chicanx/Latinx Cultural Resource Center is hosting an event for Latinx students and organizations to tour El Centro on Wednesday, May 10, from 4-6 p.m. at El Centro. 

“This event is made for Latinx Identifying students and organizations to organize around El Centro, building 406 which serves as a home for many Latinx organizations and students,” the Shoreline description read. “Students will have the ability to display their organization, learn about the history of activism done by Latinx students on campus and enjoy a meal with community.”

Women’s Center hosts self-defense class 

The Women’s Center is hosting a self-defense class on Wednesday, May 10, from 5-7 p.m. at the SRB Room 1220. 

The class will be taught by Teri McDuffie, who founded self-defense programs for women, children and families and has experience in Santa Barbara Women’s Self Defense and Coastal Defense Academy.

A UCSB alumni, Teri is well-known for her years of involvement in the UC Santa Barbara campus, hosting workshops for residence halls, welcome events, and even sororities in the Isla Vista area,” the Shoreline description read

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the May 4, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.