RCSGD celebrates Trans Week of Visibility 

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) is finishing off Trans Week of Visibility with three events on Thursday and Friday.

RCSGD is hosting a career workshop for transgender students in collaboration with Trans Can Work on Thursday, April 27, from 4-5:30 p.m. at the Student Resource Building (SRB) multipurpose room. Trans Can Work is a nonprofit organization that uplifts transgender job seekers through their career journeys. 

“We’ll provide advice on the job hunt and some insight into how to protect yourself as a Trans+ job seeker, employee, and future employer,” the Shoreline description read. 

The week will continue with a Trans Community Dinner on Thursday, April 27, from 6-8 p.m. at the SRB multipurpose room. Food will be provided, and prospective attendees must register on Shoreline to save their seat. 

Festivities will conclude with a Trans Resource Fair on Friday, April 28, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Lot 22 lawn and the Educational Opportunity Program lawn. The fair will feature tabling, a silent auction, a transgender clothing swap and dog therapy. 

UCSB Dhadkan hosts Nachle Deewane 2023 

UCSB Dhadkan is hosting Nachle Deewane, an annual Bollywood and Bhangra competition, on Saturday, April 29, at 5 p.m. at the Marjorie Luke Theatre. 

The mixer will feature eight collegiate Bollywood dance performances and two exhibition teams. The proceeds will be donated to Share a Smile USA, a charity that supports organizations focused on supporting rural underprivileged communities. 

General admission is $23, VIP tickets are $30 each and a bundle ticket that includes admission to the post-show concert, a general admission ticket and a bus pass is $45. 

UCSB Dhadkan is a nonprofit organization that hosts fundraising events for charity. 

El Congreso de UCSB hosts 30th annual Latine College Day

El Congreso de UCSB is hosting its 30th annual Latine College Day on Saturday, April 29, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at various locations across campus. 

The day is an outreach event for high school and community college students in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura Counties. Attendees will learn about pursuing higher education as a marginalized student. UCSB students can get involved with the event through leading workshops and volunteering

El Congreso de UCSB is a Chicanx/Latinx support and political student organization that conducts various advocacy work on campus. 

IVCRC hosts carnival on Pardall Road 

The Associated Students Isla Vista Community Relations Committee (IVCRC) is hosting a Pardall Carnival on Sunday, April 30, from 12-4 p.m. on Pardall Road. 

The entirely free carnival will feature food, ferris wheel rides, carnival games, raffles and prizes, caricature artists, live music, tote bags and more. 

IVCRC works to educate the I.V. community and nurtures relationships between the college town’s long-term and short-term residents through event planning and funding various student and local organizations. 

MCC hosts two-day event to celebrate Black LGBTQIA+ artists 

The MultiCultural Center (MCC) is hosting a two-day event to celebrate Black LGBTQIA+ artwork on Sunday, April 30, at the MCC lounge and Monday, May 1, at the MCC theater. 

The first event will showcase an art exhibit titled, “Shades of Black & Pynk: A Celebration of Black Trans+Queer Art, Love, and Writing.”

“This exhibit is a multimedia installation that celebrates the boundless imagination of Black Queer, Trans, and Gender Creative artists,” the Shoreline description read. 

The second day’s event, titled “Pynk Possibilities: The Long 1980s — Black Trans and Queer Soundscapes of Unbelonging,” will feature a conversation between feminist studies associate professor Matt Richardson, Black studies professor Omise’eke Tinsley, University of Miami Center for Global Black Studies Inaugural Co-Director and African Studies Director Jafari Allen. 

The three will discuss the enduring impact of 1980s Black popular music and culture and its queer/trans resonances in Matt Richardson’s novel Black Canvas: A Campus Haunting,” the Shoreline description read. 

RCSGD hosts QTBIPOC Community Dinner 

RCSGD is hosting a QTBIPOC Community Dinner for its QTBIPOC Empowerment Hours on Monday, May 1, from 6-8 p.m. at the SRB multipurpose room. 

Super Cuca’s will cater the event. 

OISS hosts employment workshop for J-1 visa-holding students 

The Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) is hosting an employment workshop for J-1 visa-holding students on Tuesday, May 2, from 4-5 p.m. at the UCSB Education Abroad Program’s Office at South Hall. 

The workshop will discuss on-campus employment authorization as a J-1 student as well as the academic training process for off-campus employment. 

C.A.P.S. Mental Health Peers hosts guest lecture by Victoria Browne on mental health

Counseling & Psychological Services (C.A.P.S.) Mental Health Peers is holding a guest lecture about mental health on Tuesday, May 2, from 6:30-8 p.m. at Campbell Hall. 

The event is in collaboration with UCSB and Santa Barbara City College Athletics, the Women’s Center and Health & Wellness, among others. 

The guest speaker is TED Talk speaker, podcast host and former Division I athlete Victoria Browne.

“Victoria first began sharing her story of how she battled and overcame depression & anxiety as a student-athlete in her 2017 TED Talk, ‘The Hidden Opponent,’ which has been viewed over 500,000 times,” the Shoreline description read. “Victoria now tours the country speaking at universities in hopes of destigmatizing the conversation around mental health and encouraging all people to be their unfiltered selves.” 

UCSB KASA hosts spring formal

UCSB Korean American Student Association (KASA) is hosting its spring formal on Saturday, May 20, from 9-11:30 p.m. at the Kiva Cowork: Chapala Center. 

The formal’s theme is “Starry Night,” and the event will feature food, drinks, music and more. 

Early bird tickets are $20 for KASA members and $25 for KASA non-members, and the tickets are $30 for members and $35 for non-members after May 1. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the April 27, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.