A UC Santa Barbara student died at Santa Catalina residence hall — a freshman dormitory — on April 24. 

UCPD will be continuing a standard follow-up investigation and said it cannot provide any further information at this time. Mark Alfred/Daily Nexus

In an email sent to Santa Catalina residents obtained by the Nexus, residential and community living staff confirmed that there was a student death in the building and said there were “no signs of foul play and there was no threat to the health and safety of residents.” 

UCSB Police Department officers originally responded to a 10:17 a.m. call on Monday regarding “an unconscious person originally and then updated as a person not breathing,” UCPD Public Information Officer Dan Wilson told the Nexus in a statement. 

“Emergency medical personnel from Santa Barbara County were dispatched and responded as well. CPR was performed to no avail and the person was declared deceased by medical personnel,” the statement continued.  

Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office coroner deputies arrived on the scene and will be performing a coroner’s investigation and an autopsy to determine the cause of death, Wilson said. No timeline was given for the investigation and autopsy. 

UCPD will be continuing a standard follow-up investigation and said it cannot provide any further information at this time. 

In an April 25 email to students, housing staff encouraged impacted parties to seek on-campus mental health resources if necessary and acknowledged the difficulty of a student death. 

“We imagine that this situation impacts each of us in different ways. There are many questions with few answers and this may add more emotional stress to a confusing situation. Please understand that it is normal to feel a range of different emotions,” the email read. 

Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.