UCLA Pediatric AIDS Coalition hosts annual Dance Marathon

The UC Los Angeles Pediatric AIDS Coalition hosted its yearly Dance Marathon last week, a 19-hour fundraising event dedicated to supporting HIV-affected children worldwide.

The event took place at UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion and occurred from 12 p.m. on April 8 to 7 p.m. on April 9.

Activities at the Dance Marathon included interactive education, sponsor booths, live performances, guest speakers and its annual morale dance, according to the Pediatric AIDS Coalition (PAC) website

“It was just so exciting to see the amount of people who come together to support such a big cause such as pediatric AIDS, especially because it is so stigmatized,” third-year psychobiology major and Dancer Relations/Color Captain Isha Das told the Daily Bruin. “Seeing more and more people really understand the reality of it and how it can be eradicated from the world is really exciting.”

PAC raised $118,413.83 at this year’s event, surpassing last year’s total by nearly $6,000, the Daily Bruin reported.

Three UC Davis students killed in multiple-vehicle collision

A series of collisions on Highway 99 in San Joaquin County led to the deaths of three UC Davis students on the morning of March 31, the California Aggie reported.

A black Honda Accord driving southbound on northbound lanes collided with a Subaru Impreza that the three students were driving, according to the Aggie. The impact caused the Subaru to veer to the side and ultimately come to a stop facing southbound in a northbound lane, where a black Chevrolet Suburban collided with the Subaru head-on.

All three students were killed on the scene, as was the driver of the Honda. The driver of the Chevrolet sustained major injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital.

Both the Honda and Chevrolet drivers were suspected to have been under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the crash.

“We are absolutely devastated and struggling to come to terms with such immense loss,” UC Davis Chancellor Gary May said in a press release. “On behalf of the UC Davis community, we send our condolences to the family, friends and others who knew and loved them. Our Aggie family shares deeply in your pain and loss.”

UCSD School of Biological Sciences to eliminate discussion sections

The UC San Diego School of Biological Sciences announced that the majority of its courses will no longer hold discussion sections beginning Fall Quarter 2023, according to the UCSD Guardian.

For biological science courses that continue to host sections, the ratio of students to teaching assistants will be approximately 100 to one.

Many faculty members within the department have spoken out against the removal of sections, including six professors who endorsed a petition to reinstate sections, the UCSD Guardian reported.

“Within the biology department at UC San Diego, our discussion sections are the foundation of the university’s quality of education, the formation of the student community, as well as student well-being,” the petition read. “Making this drastic of a change will be detrimental to all three aspects of education in the biology department at UC San Diego.”

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the April 13, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Alex Levin
Alex Levin (he/him) is the University News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Levin was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 school year. He can be reached at alexlevin@dailynexus.com.