A Santa Barbara local surfer died from cardiac arrest following a water rescue by the Santa Barbara County Fire Department at 3:30 p.m. on Monday. 

The incident took place by the bluffs near UC Santa Barbara’s Marine Science Research Building, according to Santa Barbara County Fire Department (SBCFD) Public Information Officer Scott Safechuck. 

The death followed failed CPR efforts by a fellow surfer, who pulled the victim out of the ocean after finding him floating face-down in the water, Safechuck said. 

Fire Station 17 and County Station 11 — SBCFD’s water rescue stations — arrived after receiving a report of the incident and attempted to save the individual from cardiac arrest using advanced life support. The surfer was eventually pronounced deceased at the scene, according to Safechuck. 

SBCFD was unable to determine whether the surfer was affiliated with UCSB or the individual’s cause of death, and could not provide the decedent’s name. 

The Nexus will continue to update this article as more information becomes available. 

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.