Katherine McCabe | Daily Nexus

Perfect for cozying up with a cup of tea, these chewy molasses cookies are warming, sweet, decadent and sure to help you get through the last throes of winter. Inspired by the Love and Lemons recipe, these cookies have satisfyingly crispy edges and soft, chewy interiors. I used an ice cream scoop to spoon the dough and ended up with photogenic, uniform rows of cookies. They taste as good as they look (or dare I say even better) — so give them a try!

Yield: 20 cookies 

Time: 20 minutes 

Ingredients: 

• ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
  • ⅓ cup granulated sugar
  • ⅓ cup molasses 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. 
  2. Cream together the butter and sugars. Add the molasses and vanilla and mix until combined. 
  3. In another bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and baking soda.
  4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing constantly. If the dough feels dry, add 1 teaspoon of warm water until it has a thick, moist consistency. 
  5. Roll the dough into two-inch balls and place them on a baking sheet, pressing down slightly. Bake for 10 minutes until the cookies are slightly cracked. Remove them from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

These cookies pair well with chamomile tea, Mexican hot chocolate or cardamom ice cream. Enjoy!

A version of this article appeared on p. 10 of the February 9, 2023 edition of the Daily Nexus.