A UC Santa Barbara Police Lieutenant was charged with three misdemeanors after a DUI hit-and-run incident in August 2022 and pleaded no contest to driving with .08 blood alcohol content (BAC) or higher during his Jan. 26 arraignment.

UCSB officials placed Prows on administrative leave following the accident. Cameron Hsieh / Daily Nexus

Lieutenant Bradley Prows was sentenced to 30 days in jail and three years probation and was also ordered to pay restitution to the owner of the hit car, according to the Santa Barbara News-Press.

UCSB officials placed Prows on administrative leave following the accident, according to the Santa Barbara News-Press. The UCSB Police Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Prows’ current employment status. 

Prows was not on duty at the time, and there were no reported injuries.

The accident occurred on Aug. 7, 2022 on State Route 246 at the Fourth Place intersection in Solvang, according to a press release from the Buellton California Highway Patrol (CHP). Prows — driving a 2017 Ford F-350 — attempted to pass the vehicle in front of him when it slowed to a stop in a parking stall and instead collided with its left side. He then failed to yield and drove one mile before being pulled over and placed under arrest. 

The misdemeanors include: hit-and-run property damage, driving under influence of alcohol and driving with .08 BAC or higher. Prows pleaded no contest for the latter charge in exchange for the dismissal of the other two charges, according to the Santa Barbara News-Press. 

Rana Sibani of La Mesa drove the car Prows hit — a 2016 Honda Odyssey — and reported the collision to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office after Prows neglected to stop. Upon arrival, authorities arrested Prows and requested that CHP conduct the investigation.

A version of this article appeared on p. 1 of the Feb. 2, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Sindhu Ananthavel
Sindhu Ananthavel (she/they) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Ananthavel was the Deputy News Editor for the 2022-23 school year, the Community Outreach News Editor for the 2021-22 school year and an assistant news editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.