Transfer Student Center hosts group sunset hike 

UC Santa Barbara’s Transfer Student Center is leading a group sunset hike on Friday, Jan. 27, from 4-5:30 p.m. The hike will take place at the Ellwood Bluffs Trail in Goleta and will be a 1.2-mile loop. 

Participants are encouraged to bring their own water and wear comfortable clothes, and snacks will be provided. However, transportation will not be provided. More details on the starting location as well as parking options will be shared following registration.  

The Transfer Student Center creates a space for transfer students at UCSB to connect with other students, in addition to providing campus resources and guidance for academics and career direction. 

Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity hosts cross-cultural potluck

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) is hosting a cross-cultural potluck in collaboration with the MultiCultural Center (MCC) and the Office of International Students and Scholars. The potluck will take place on Friday, Jan. 27, from 5-7 p.m. at the MCC lounge. 

“Join us at the Cross-cultural Potluck for a casual evening of sharing, arts, and food,” the Shoreline description read

Registration is required to attend the event. 

RCSGD is UCSB’s LGBTQIA+ center that works to provide support and resources for the success of LGBTQIA+ students. 

Latinx Business Association holds winter leadership conference 

The Latinx Business Association is hosting its annual winter leadership conference on Saturday, Jan. 28, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Mosher Alumni House. The conference will feature a keynote speaker, along with four additional speakers, to lead self-improvement workshops on career and leadership development. 

The five speakers are Kirk Stovesand, Dante Di Loreto, Greg Loosvelt, Ben May and Michelle Carlen. Each speaker focuses on various sects of careers, from finance and television to creating a work/life balance. 

Coffee and pastries will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis at check-in, and lunch will be provided for all registered attendees. Prospective participants can register for the conference on Shoreline

The Latinx Business Association is a student chapter of the Santa Barbara Hispanic Chamber of Commerce that works to support Latinx students pursuing careers in business-related fields. 

RCSGD begins LGBTQIA+ health drop-in hours 

RCSGD is holding LGBTQIA+ health drop-in hours every Tuesday from 1-2:30 p.m. in the RCSGD lounge, with the upcoming session on Jan. 31. 

The drop-in hours will be hosted by RCSGD health equity advocate Buster Buchanan, and participants can discuss accessing equitable healthcare and guidance regarding gender transition, student health services, health insurance, health discrimination and the general well-being of LGBTQIA+ students. 

RCSGD has historically been collaborating with UCSB’s Student Health Service to expand gender-affirming healthcare on campus. 

Women’s Center hosts first feminist book club meeting of winter quarter 

The Women’s Center is hosting its first feminist book club meeting of the quarter on Monday, Jan. 30, from 2-3 p.m. in the Women’s Center. The club will be meeting on Mondays of Weeks 4, 6 and 8. 

The club will discuss “Abolition. Feminism. Now.” by Angela Davis, Gina Dent, Eric Meiners and Beth Richie at its first meeting. 

“We are excited to dive deeper into themes of unrecognized genealogies of queer, anti-capitalist, internationalist, grassroots, and women-of-color-led feminist movements, struggles, and organizations that have helped to define abolition and feminism in the twenty-first century,” the Shoreline description read

Snacks will be provided at every meeting, and the first 10 participants will receive a free copy of the novel. 

The Women’s Center provides education on women’s issues, feminism, healthy masculinity and gender and social equity by providing open spaces and support, opportunities for advocacy and the sharing of resources. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2  of the Jan. 26, 2023 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.