Pihu Jain | Daily Nexus

What’s the furthest you’ve traveled just for food? For me, it was an hour-long drive to Dutch Bros, from UCSB to Lompoc, all for a Christmas morning…in November. One sip was enough to understand what drove my roommate (literally) to such lengths for an ice cold drink in the early throes of winter. 

This recipe is inspired by that very Christmas morning drink from Dutch Bros. Enjoy!

Christmas Chai Latte (Yield: 1 Serving):

Ingredients: 

• Chai powder (any flavor you like, but the recommended is Oregon Chai tea latte concentrate, which Dutch Bros uses)
  • 1 ½ tablespoons white chocolate syrup
  • Nutmeg powder
  • Whipped cream
  • A pinch of cinnamon
  • ½ cup milk (recommended: half and half, but any can be used)
  • Optional: candy cane, tiny marshmallows, chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Brew chai using the chai powder by mixing with hot water and setting on the stove to keep warm (follow instructions for your chai powder of choice to brew).
  2. In a mug, drizzle some white chocolate syrup.
  3. Take the milk and heat until it reaches the desired temperature (on stove or in frother).
  4. Whisk milk until frothy (or use a frother if available).
  5. Add hot chai, mix in extra white chocolate syrup if desired, followed by frothed milk on top.
  6. Top with whipped cream, a dusting of nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon.
  7. Garnish with a candy cane, tiny marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
  8. Enjoy your Christmas cheer!

For those of you who, like me, don’t have a Dutch Bros in your area, this recipe will help you comfortably bide time until you find yourself in the vicinity of one. Share it with your friends and family around a warm fire, iced if you like, for an unforgettable moment. And preferably, have your Christmas morning…on a real Christmas morning. Happy holidays!