ONDAS Student Center hosts game night to celebrate first-generation students 

The Opening New Doors to Accelerating Success Student Center is hosting a game night for first-generation students in collaboration with the Transfer Student Center and the Educational Opportunity Program on Thursday, Nov. 10. The event is from 4-6 p.m. at Kerr Hall 1150, and will feature board games, food, painting and music. 

Prospective attendees can register for the event on Shoreline

L.E.A.D. hosts law panel with professionals and law school students 

UCSB’s Legal Education Association for Diversity is holding a law panel on Monday, Nov. 14 from 6-9 p.m. at the Mosher Alumni House. The networking event gives UCSB students the opportunity to meet local lawyers and students currently in law school. 

Students can sign up to attend the panel on Shoreline

A.S. Trans & Queer Commission hosts queer horror movie night 

Associated Students Trans & Queer Commission is hosting a horror movie night for LGBTQIA+ students on Sunday, Nov. 13 from 8-10 p.m. at the Isla Vista Theater. 

The night will feature “Suspiria,” an R-rated horror and thriller film about a dance company in Berlin. 

Students can register for the event on Shoreline

Global Engagement hosts lecture about Cameroonian history and civil war 

UCSB Global Engagement is welcoming Professor Elisabeth Ayuk-Etang for a lecture on Cameroonian history and civil war on Tuesday, Nov. 15 from 4-6 p.m. at Henley Hall 1010. 

The event is co-sponsored by the Orfalea Center for Global & International Studies, the Department of Global Studies, the UCSB Education Abroad Program and the Office of International Students and Scholars. 

Ayuk-Etang is a Scholar Rescue Fund fellow at UCSB this year, and the recipient of the Janet Hennessey Dilenschneider Scholar Rescue Award. 

The presentation will focus on the impact of the Cameroonian civil war on women and the environment, and Ayuk-Etang will lecture on the subject by taking the audience through each phase of Cameroonian history in light of colonization. 

Food will be provided, and a reception will be held after the lecture. 

Those interested can RSVP on Shoreline.

MCC welcomes Brandon Wolf lecture about real-world self-care as an LGBTQIA+ advocate

In collaboration with the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity, the MultiCultural Center is hosting a lecture led by Brandon Wolf about self-care and healing on Tuesday, Nov. 15 from 6-8 p.m. 

Wolf is a LGBTQIA+ civil rights advocate, a leader for ending gun violence in America and a survivor of the 2016 Pulse Nightclub shooting. 

“This presentation explores the real life application of self-care; the challenges of caring for one’s self in a world that prioritizes productivity; and the need for community when healing,” the Shoreline description reads. 

Prospective participants can register for the lecture on Shoreline

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Nov. 10, 2022 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.