Hermanas Unidas de UCSB sells handcrafted creations for fundraising 

Hermanas Unidas de UCSB — an organization that provides leadership opportunities and resources for Chicanx/Latinx students — is hosting “La Pulguita de HaU,” a fundraising event that will showcase 10 confirmed vendors who will be displaying and selling their creations. 

The event will take place from Oct. 4-6, at the Lot 22 lawn from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for all three days. All proceeds for the fundraiser will go to HaU’s annual scholarships and outreach programs, according to its Shoreline description

Arts & Lectures hosts Ukraine Fest to showcase Ukrainian craft and music 

UCSB Arts & Lectures is presenting Ukraine Fest on Oct. 6 from 5-7:30 p.m. in front of the Granada Theatre. The event will showcase bandura musician Siuzanna Iglidan — who performed alongside John Legend during the 2022 Grammy Awards — and dancers from the Ukrainian Art Center of Southern California. 

The festival will also display Ukrainian crafts like pysanka, or painted eggs, and embroidery as well as information about Ukrainian history and current relief efforts. The event will be followed by a performance by DakhaBrakha — a musical band that incorporates Ukrainian folk melodies into the genres of indie rock, hip-hop and traditional instrumentation — from 8-9:30 p.m. 

The event will be held in the Granada Theatre on State Street in downtown Santa Barbara and is free of charge for students, according to its Shoreline description

African Diasporic Cultural Resource Center hosts weekly support space for Black women

The African Diasporic Cultural Resource Center (AdCRC) is hosting a “Sister Circle” every Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. at its center to create a drop-in support space for Black women. The discussion-based group aims to provide support and feedback amongst other Black women in a “safe and nurturing environment,” according to its Shoreline description

The group will be led by Counseling and Psychological Services psychologists Dominique Broussard and Janel Davis, as well as AdCRC coordinator and Educational Opportunity Program Academic Achievement Counselor Tara Jones. Snacks will be provided, and those interested can submit an interest form here

Office of International Students & Scholars hosts International LGBTQ Brunch

The Office of International Students & Scholars, the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD), and the LGBTQ Staff & Faculty Collective are collaborating on an International LGBTQ Brunch on Oct. 7, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the Student Resource Building (SRB). 

The event will feature conversations around community building and international LGBTQ resources over a light brunch. Participants will also be joined by Pacific Pride Foundation — a Santa Barbara-based LGBTQ service and advocacy organization. The event is open to the public, and prospective participants are encouraged to register here for the brunch. 

EOP hosts Cultural Resource Center Open House

UCSB’s Educational Opportunity Program is hosting an Open House at the Cultural Resource Center (CRC) from Oct. 10-13 on the first floor of the SRB, each located in their respective CRC rooms. The Middle Eastern, North African, South Asian Resource Center and American Indian and Indigenous Cultural Resource Center are hosting their open houses on Oct. 10, from 3-4:30 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. respectively. 

The AdCRC and Asian Resource Center are hosting their open houses on Oct. 12, from 3:30-5 p.m. and 5-7 p.m., respectively, and the Chicanx/Latinx Cultural Resource Center is hosting their open house on Oct. 13, from 4-6 p.m. 

Women’s Center hosts ‘Ditching Diets, Keeping Culture’ discussion 

The Women’s Center is holding an interactive discussion titled, “Ditching Diets, Keeping Culture,” on Oct. 12, from 5-6:15 p.m. in the Women’s Center Lounge. The conversation will center around diet culture and how it impacts body image and mental health, focusing on different cultural foods being stigmatized and labeled as “unhealthy,” according to its Shoreline description. Snacks will be provided, and those interested can register for the event on Shoreline

RCSGD discusses coming out and being outed during IdentiTEAs Series 

As part of its IdentiTEAs series — which provides a social and intimate space for LGBTQIA+ students to discuss their experiences and issues affecting impacted communities — RCSGD will be hosting talks on coming out and being outed during their next discussion on Oct. 12, from 6:30-8 p.m. in the RCSGD lounge in the SRB. 

Facilitators of the conversation will be holding this space as a place to vent about the emotions of coming out and being outed and will discuss how to navigate the entire process. Those interested in participating in this space can register on Shoreline

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Oct. 6, 2022 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.