Daniela Gomez / Daily Nexus

Isla Vista Recreation and Parks District presents screening of “Beetlejuice”

Isla Vista Recreation and Parks District (IVRPD) is holding a free screening of the 1988 PG-rated film ‘Beetlejuice’ in Anisq’Oyo’ Park as part of its annual Movie in the Park series on Sept. 30 at 8:30 p.m. The event is co-sponsored by Associated Students, Magic Lanterns Films and Isla Vista Arts, according to its Shoreline description.

IVRPD and Black Student Union hosts “Soul on Wheels”

IVRPD and the UC Santa Barbara Black Student Union are co-hosting a “Soul on Wheels” roller-skating themed event on Oct. 1 from 2-6 p.m. in the Anisq’Oyo’ Park Amphitheater. Guests are encouraged to wear roller skates, and attendees using alternative modes of transportation such as biking or skateboarding will be entered into a raffle to win gift cards and an electric scooter, according to a press release. The event, which is part of IVRPD’s second annual Music in the Park concert series, is free and open to the public.

BSU puts on a ‘Black Block Party’

BSU is holding a Black Block Party in Anisq‘Oyo’ Park Amphitheater on Oct. 1 from 3-8 p.m. to celebrate local Black performers, small businesses, arts and local vendors.

“The Black Block Party will feature performances by Black bands and artists, booths from local Black creatives, and Black-focused campus organizations. The party’s purpose is to showcase Black creative excellence while connecting the Black community of Isla Vista and Santa Barbara together,” the Shoreline description stated

Dancesport showcases talent with performances

Dancesport at UCSB is having a fall showcase on Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. offering a short beginner lesson, dance performances and opportunities to socialize with club members and office. The event is free and will be held in the Anisq‘Oyo’ Park Amphitheater, according to its Shoreline description.

KCSB-FM hosts fall orientation

The student radio station KCSB-FM 91.9 is having their quarterly orientation Sept. 29 at 6 p.m. in Storke Plaza. The event is open to all UCSB students, and interested students can RSVP on Shoreline

ONDAS and EOP offers ‘Real Talk’ discussion space

Opening New Doors to Accelerating Student Success (ONDAS) and Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) are co-hosting their first ‘Real Talk’ meeting of the quarter on Oct. 4 at 11 a.m. in the ONDAS Student Center. Open to all UCSB students, ‘Real Talk’ offers opportunities to “build community, learn about resources, socialize and chat with EOP and ONDAS Peer Mentors,” the Shoreline flyer stated. Coffee and snacks will be provided.

MCC presents ‘Art as Activism’ exhibition

UCSB’s MultiCultural Center is opening its Fall 2022 Art Exhibition on Oct. 3 in the MCC Lounge, and will continue through Dec. 3.

“The MCC Fall 2022 Art Exhibition features UCSB student artists and their work that highlights counternarratives to hate, hurt, & fear or work that centers joy and allyship in the QTBIPOC communities,” the Shoreline description stated. “This exhibition seeks to foster discussions around Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Social Justice, and Belonging.”

RCSGD hosts game night for ‘QTBICPOC Empowerment Hours’

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) is holding a game night on Oct. 2 from 6-8 p.m. in the RCSGD Lounge as part of its weekly QTBICPOC Empowerment Hours. Students interested in the event should register through Shoreline.

“QTBIPOC Empowerment Hours is a space intentionally for QTBIPOC to exist, rest, rejuvenate, and come together as a community to thrive individually and collectively,” the Shoreline description read.

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Sept. 29, 2022 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Nisha Malley
Nisha Malley (she/her/hers) is the County News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Malley was an Assistant News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com.