The heat from roasted chickpeas, jalapeño and Thai basil match the cool sweetness of the crisp nectarines, tomatoes and oh-so-smooth Ataúlfo mangoes. Maya Salem / Daily Nexus

The thing I love most about summer is the amount of fruit available. And, yes, yes, I know. We live in California, where pretty much everything is in season all the time. But summer fruit just hits differently. Maybe it’s the freedom of having time to visit farmers markets and get the freshest ingredients, or lazily watching sunsets at the end of warm days.

Regardless, the best thing to do with fruit (and an abundance of it, I mean) is to eat it for every meal. And, you can! Nobody is going to stop you, especially me — unless you take my mangoes (my secret and favorite ingredient in this salad).

This isn’t your average Sunday brunch fruit salad. There are no grapes or apples or discolored bananas here. And, definitely, no straggler pieces of honeydew floating in unknown liquid at the bottom of the bowl. This nectarine basil salad is an elevated dish, a quick and satiating rush of flavors. The heat from roasted chickpeas, jalapeño and Thai basil match the cool sweetness of the crisp nectarines, tomatoes and oh-so-smooth Ataúlfo mangoes. 

Ingredients:

• 16 ounces heirloom cherry tomatoes
  • 5 nectarines
  • 28 ounces chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup Thai basil
  • 1 jalapeño
  • 1-2 Ataúlfo mangoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • Kosher salt

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. 
  2. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Toss them with olive oil, paprika and salt. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven on the top rack, flipping them halfway through, until golden brown. Let rest for a few minutes. 
  3. Dice the nectarines and mangoes, halve the tomatoes and finely dice the jalapeño. Using kitchen shears, cut the basil into thin ribbons. 
  4. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss them together.
  5. Add the chickpeas to the bowl, mix and serve. 

This dish will have you inspired to make fruit-based salads for every meal. It’s packed with protein, vitamins and colorful flavor that’s sure to impress every taste bud.

Tag @ucsbonthemenu on Instagram with your take!