The University of California system will cover in-state tuition and student fees for California residents who are federally recognized members of Native American, American Indian and Alaska tribes beginning fall 2022, according to an April 22 letter from UC President Michael V. Drake.

The initiative comes as a part of the UC Native American Opportunity Plan, designed to increase UC student diversity and accessibility for Indigenous California residents. 

“The University of California is committed to recognizing and acknowledging historical wrongs endured by Native Americans,” Drake said in the letter. “I am proud of the efforts the University made to support the Native American community, including the UC Native American Opportunity Plan, and appreciate our conversations to date on all the ways we can better support Native American students.” 

Indigenous California residents who are not members of federally recognized tribes will not be included in the program, although tuition scholarships may be available through external organizations and will be announced at a later date, according to the letter. 

There are 110 federally recognized Native American tribes in California and 81 groups currently seeking federal recognition, according to the California Tribal CourtsCalifornia Tribal Courts website.

The funding for the program comes from existing state and university resources as well as “other resources,” the letter stated. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 3 of the April 28, 2022, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.