The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office responded to a robbery in progress at the 7-Eleven in Isla Vista around 5:17 a.m. The suspect managed to escape, and the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) has since launched an investigation. 

UC Santa Barbara issued an emergency notification on Friday at 6:39 a.m. in response to a crime in progress. According to the emergency notification, the suspect allegedly demanded money from the cashier by passing them a note.

The SBSO lifted the initial request to avoid the surrounding area until further notice, but the investigation of the incident is still ongoing.

The suspect is described as a white, approximately 30-year-old male wearing a dark-colored sweatshirt that concealed their face and cargo pants. No weapon was seen during the crime, though the initial call to law enforcement indicated the presence of a firearm.

The Nexus will continue reporting on this issue as more information becomes available.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.