Daniela Gomez / Daily Nexus

Non-Traditional Student Resource Center Distributed Valentine’s Day Craft Kits 

The Non-Traditional Student Resource Center will be distributing craft kits for Valentine’s Day on Feb. 10 and 11 in Room 1109 in the Student Resource Building. Anyone 5 years of age or older can enjoy use of the craft kits, according to the Shoreline description

Professional Women’s Association Hosts Galentine’s Day  

UC Santa Barbara’s Professional Women’s Association is hosting a virtual Galentine’s Day gathering on Feb. 10 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. with a trivia game testing attendees’ knowledge of trailblazing women.  

The Center for Science and Engineering Partnerships Hosts Cathy Park Hong To Discuss Memoir  

UCSB’s Center for Science and Engineering Partnerships and Arts & Lectures will host award-winning poet and author Cathy Park Hong to discuss her memoir, “Minor Feelings,” on Feb. 10 at Campbell Hall and again on Feb. 11 in Elings Hall. 

Minor Feelings, integrates personal stories, historical context and cultural criticism into a radically honest meditation on the Asian-American experience,” the Shoreline description stated. 

Environmental Affairs Board Engages in Coal Oil Point Reserve Restoration 

UCSB’s Environmental Affairs Board (EAB) is hosting a restoration event to plant native coastal scrub plants at the Coal Oil Point Reserve on Feb. 12 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

The Shoreline description stated that the group hopes to “restore areas previously impacted by human land use.”

EAB will provide tools to anyone participating in the event. EAB asks participants to bring water and snacks, wear a mask and appropriate clothing — including pants and close-toed shoes — and apply sunscreen.

IVRPD Hosts Pop-up Archery Event 

The Isla Vista Recreation and Park District (IVRPD) is hosting a pop-up event with archery at Little Acorn Park on Feb. 12 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. IVRPD said that participants do not need to have prior experience and don’t need to register for the event. 

“Just show up for the fun,” IVRPD wrote in its Shoreline event description

RCSGD Hosts Valentine’s Day Candy Exchange 

UCSB’s Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) is taking college students back to their elementary school Valentine’s Day candy bag memories with a candy and card exchange on Feb. 14 at 2 p.m. in the RCSGD Lounge. 

RCSGD will provide candy, construction paper and paper bags for participants to decorate and enjoy. 

IVCSD, Goleta Valley Public Library Host Books on Wheels Cafe 

The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) and the Goleta Valley Public Library are hosting “Books on Wheels Cafe” — an event held in tandem with Isla Vista’s Library BookVan. 

Community members can come every Tuesday from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. to the Isla Vista Community Center and enjoy free coffee, tea, snacks and the BookVan’s selection of literary content. 

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.
Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.