The Isla Vista Recreation and Park District was awarded $4.2 million in grant funding to complete the Children’s Park Renovation Project, which will include two new nature-themed playgrounds, an educational demonstration garden and a renovated recreation center, among other amenities. 

The grants were designed to advance California Governor Gavin Newsom’s “Outdoors for All” initiative. Daily Nexus File Photo

The grant was awarded on Dec. 8 through the California State Parks’ highly competitive Statewide Park Development and Community Revitalization Grant Program, which distributed over $548.3 million in grant money, according to a Dec. 10 Isla Vista Recreation and Park District (IVRPD) press release. 

“This grant program represents the single-largest investment in California state history in expanding access to parks in underserved communities, like Isla Vista,” the press release said. 

The grants were designed to advance California Governor Gavin Newsom’s “Outdoors for All” initiative which aims to enable communities across the state — regardless of income or zip code — to have access to parks and open spaces. 

According to the press release, IVRPD will be hosting a celebration of the grant allocation on Jan. 29. The district hopes to plan the design and construction in 2022 and break ground on the project by spring 2023, with a tentative ribbon-cutting event planned for later that winter. 

Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.